cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP routes do not show up in routing table on all routers.

aw75635
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I am testing redistribution of EIGRP via BGP, using VRF, in my lab, using the following scenario. Have a look at the attached files please.

On the core router I have created a VRF for each location. There are no VRFs on the Loc1OfficeX routers.

What puzzles me is after implementing the config, I see all routes only in the routing table of Loc1Office1 router. I do not see the external routes in the routing table of Loc1Office2 or Loc1Office3 routers. 

Loc1Office1 router uses EIGRP classic mode. Loc1Office 2 and 3 uses EIGRP named mode. Loc1Office3 is STUB.

I am wondering what is that I am doing wrong. 

On the core routers all VRFs receive the routes. Also, from any of Loc1OfficeX routers I can ping the IP addresses on the other routers. The issue that I have is that on two of my Office routers the routing table is not updated.

Is this a bug or a issue?

I am using GNS3 as lab environment.

Any tips much appreciated.

Best regards!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

aw75635
Level 1
Level 1

I have change the redistribution for BGP as following

redistribute bgp 65000 metric 10000 10 255 1 1500

and it started to work.

So this must have been the issue.

Thank you all for your help!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Hello,

post the GNS3 lab file. Also indicate which images you are using, and in which directory you have these images installed.

Friend Wrong IP subnet 
172.1.0.5 /30  5 is not include 
172.1.0.1 and 172.1.0.2 only 

also Net 172.1.0.4 0.0.0.3 <- this wrong 
net 172.1.0.0 0.0.0.3 

Oh! Yes, it is wrong. I must have gotten blind.

Thank you! I will update the con fig and try again.

Hello,

do you have the GNS3 lab file ?

If after checking the network command they still do not show up try this:

You said you can ping the routes but they aren't showing up in R2 or R3 routing table.

Can you show us the sh ip eigrp topology table on the Loc1OfficeX routers (all of them)?

First thing:

In order to install a route into the routing table for EIGRP it needs to be in the topology table (if its not then either something is blocking it or its not even getting to the router)

Second thing:

If it is in the topology table but not in the routing table it could be a metric issue. EIGRP Named mode uses a much more scalable and higher metric value than EIGRP Classic mode. If the metric value (FD) is too high it will never make it to the Routing table as it can only hold a certain high value. There are mechanisms in place to prevent that issue but sometimes that's is not enough.

Third thing:

If EIGRP has learned the route and its in the topology table but you see a metric is infinity or its not in the EIGRP routing table the router could have learned a BETTER route from another source and that's what's in the routing table.

Hope that helps.

Hi.

Here is the output

I see that the FD is Infinity.

On Office 2 and 3

Best regards!

Thank you for that.

So that's probably why its not in the routing table. The RIB 'rejected' it. Those values are very high and way above what is allowed in the RIB. You can bring those numbers down by  adjusting the "metric-rib" scale in EIGRP named mode. See below:

https://ine.com/blog/2018-07-31-understanding-the-eigrp-command-metric-rib-scale

Your metrics in the topology table are 661979136000 - divide that by the default metric RIB scale of 128 and you get 5,171,712,000 which is about 1 million more than 4294967295 which is the allowed max metric allowed in the RIB.

Try increasing the metric RIB value to the max of 255 (EIGRP NAMED mode only)

I used the below article to understand FD is infinity better. Hope it helps you too!

https://www.packetmischief.ca/2015/04/07/eigrp-fd-is-infinity/

Hope that solved your issue.

Thank you!

This is the URL I have found as well

aw75635
Level 1
Level 1

I have change the redistribution for BGP as following

redistribute bgp 65000 metric 10000 10 255 1 1500

and it started to work.

So this must have been the issue.

Thank you all for your help!

Good to hear.

Yes changing the default metric to a standard lower one would have also worked as in your case.

Awesome.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card