Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP UPDATE

jaighobahi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I have issues understanding the EIGRP update process.  Attached is a word document containing screen shots from a Wireshark capture.  Please, have a look at them and offer your thought.  Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello.

Recently Cisco published RFC draft for EIGRP, where you may find all the answers - https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-savage-eigrp-04.txt

Basically:

• section 5.3.3-4 says about INIT-flag to start initial update process (NULL INIT-packet);
  • next-hop is 0.0.0.0 - means we use neighbour IP-address as next-hop (as we may announce some other attached IP-address as next-hop);
  • unicast update retransmit may come,as 192.168.1.2 has not acknowledged multicast update (in this case we switch to unicast mode). 

PS1: I would suggest you to test EIGRP on 15.2+ release, as draft is most probably covers latest version.

PS2: if you repeat the test with 15.2+ release, please attach pcap file along with your questions.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello.

Recently Cisco published RFC draft for EIGRP, where you may find all the answers - https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-savage-eigrp-04.txt

Basically:

• section 5.3.3-4 says about INIT-flag to start initial update process (NULL INIT-packet);
  • next-hop is 0.0.0.0 - means we use neighbour IP-address as next-hop (as we may announce some other attached IP-address as next-hop);
  • unicast update retransmit may come,as 192.168.1.2 has not acknowledged multicast update (in this case we switch to unicast mode). 

PS1: I would suggest you to test EIGRP on 15.2+ release, as draft is most probably covers latest version.

PS2: if you repeat the test with 15.2+ release, please attach pcap file along with your questions.

Thanks a lot.  The link is very helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: