cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP with different vendors.

jlajuarez
Level 1
Level 1

Yesterday I was invited for a job interview from a company for a junior network administrator position. I am currently looking for my first job as I am a fresh graduate.

The guy who interviewed me asked me this question, this is how it went:

Guy: Can you use EIGRP with different vendor routers?

Me: No.

Guy: Why?

Me: Because it is Cisco proprietary. If the company has multi vendor routers, OSPF should be used.

Guy: What if I tell you we used EIGRP with Cisco and Huawei devices.

Me: (very confused) That's.... very interesting. How?

Guy: *smug*

The technical interview went well until that... and i guess i flonked on that technical question. But... really? Is it possible? I think he is just messing with me. Like trying to see how I would react. But I answered in all honesty like how any geek would be so excited to learn something new or somethign he thought was impossible. I didn't want to say "oh yeah.. you can use it" even if I honestly believe that EIGRP can only be used with Cisco devices.

Enlighten me.

17 Replies 17

Thanks for correcting my comment about Huawei supporting EIGRP. I was basing it on an old conversation that I had with my colleague , who published the RFC and who had told me when Cisco published it, that Huawei had shown some interest to support it, but I have never followed up on it.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

How many routing protocols can able to configure in the same router ?

Hi,

There is no limit as you run 1 instant of BGP, Multiple of EIGRP, OSPF, RIP, etc. But your router resources are limited to we have to consider router's CPU, RAM, interface traffic etc. 

There are no documents on the same which will suggest but it totally depends on the requirements.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card