cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

encapsulation dot1q is not working?, 2600 Cisco router

jesserc68
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to config a 2620 Cisco router to perform subintreface (F0/0.1) for Vlan Trunk Protocol, however when I try to configure the encapsulation dot1q, I continue to receive error massage with ^ symbol below the 'c' See below, the platform version is a 12.3(26) which should be acceptable to perform an (encapsulation dot1q). The Ethernet is a fast-Ethernet 10/100 port. I also try the ISL, I receive the same massage.

Can anyone suggest what could be the problem!! 

Thank you all!!!!!

Router#config t

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

Router(config)#int f0/0

Router(config-if)#no ip address

Router(config-if)#no shutdown

Router(config-if)#int f0/0.1

Router(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q 1                     

^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker. Router(config-subif)#

==================================================================================================== Router#show version

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.3(26), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 17-Mar-08 15:23 by dchih ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(3r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Router uptime is 5 minutes System returned to ROM by power-on System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.123-26.bin" cisco 2620 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x600) with 28672K/4096K bytes of memory . Processor board ID JAD05440GAN (1508240486) M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49 Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 3.0.0. 1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 1 Serial network interface(s) 32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Router#

==================================================================================================

Router#sh flash

System flash directory:

File  Length  Name/status  

1  7754580  c2600-i-mz.123-26.bin [7754644 bytes used, 633960 available, 8388604 total]

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Router#

34 Replies 34

It a 100mb interface Fast-Ethernet

Could you paste the following output.

Router(config-subif)#en ?

I want to see what options its giving you.

Also how are you connected to the router? console?

I am connected through the console, Here are the output.

Router#config t

Router(config)#

Router(config)#

Router(config)#int f0/0

Router(config-if)#

*Mar  1 00:01:36.891: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state t o up

Router(config-if)#

Router(config-subif)#enc ?

% Unrecognized command

Router(config-subif)#en?

% Unrecognized command

% Unrecognized command

Router(config-subif)#en

Jesse

jesse rodriguez wrote:

I am connected through the console, Here are the output.

Router#config t

Router(config)#

Router(config)#

Router(config)#int f0/0

Router(config-if)#

*Mar  1 00:01:36.891: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state t o up

Router(config-if)#

Router(config-subif)#enc ?

% Unrecognized command

Router(config-subif)#en?

% Unrecognized command

% Unrecognized command

Router(config-subif)#en

Jesse

It's possible your feature set it not good enough to run trunking.

Trunking apparently requires a minimum of the IP PLUS feature set according to this document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949fd.shtml

table 2 shows a minimum IOS of 12.0(1)T and IPPLUS/IPPLUS on the 2620 - so your IOS revision is OK, but maybe your feature set is not.

You can figure which feature set you have by going here

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dispatch?act=rlsSelect&task=search&searchby=image

and entering your image name (assuming it's not been stuffed with) which you can find by doing "show flash" or "dir"

If you don;t have the right feature set, then you're out of luck unless you can upgrade/change the IOS image the router is booting with.

Cheers.

I believe you are correct, I followed your link and inserted the IOS #c2600-i-mz.123-26.bin, the outcome  was c2600-i-mz.123-26.bin  12.3(26)  2620-2621  IP,

Therefore I believe I need an IOS the has the feature of IP PLUS. Is there any way you could inform me what IOS has the IP PLUS.

Thanks

Jesse

jesse rodriguez wrote:

I believe you are correct, I followed your link and inserted the IOS #c2600-i-mz.123-26.bin, the outcome  was c2600-i-mz.123-26.bin  12.3(26)  2620-2621  IP,

Therefore I believe I need an IOS the has the feature of IP PLUS. Is there any way you could inform me what IOS has the IP PLUS.

Thanks

Jesse

The image you need is C2600-is-mz.123-26.bin, and it's the last release for this model router that I can find. If you've got a service contract/CCO account, you can probably download it - but I expect you'll be breaching licensing conditions if you do. On your own head be it if you do!

Cheers.

Thanks for the info on the IOS, once I receive it and implement it I will let you all know if that was the issue.

Thanks

Jesse

Is this the only command thats not working? if not live could u try different commands under interface? what configuration do u have under "line con 0" ?

Everything works except the encapsulation dot1q

When you say everthing thats a pretty open statment ... Did you post your config ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

also did you add the ip routing command ? If so what happen?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I config the ip route as you inform me but the encap dot1q still didnt work.

Router(config)#ip route ?  

A.B.C.D  Destination prefix  

profile  Enable IP routing table profile  

static  Allow static routes  

vrf      Configure static route for a VPN Routing/Forwarding instance

Router(config)#ip route profile ? 

Router(config)#ip route profile

Router(config)#int f0/0.1

Router(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q 30                     

^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Router(config-subif)#

jesse

ip routing ....

hi,

i have 2600xl router

it has also same problem of encapsulation command not working 

i am stuck now.

what to do??

have you got any solution??

thanks

Dear jesse rodriguez

I just downloaded and verified your IOS a few mins ago from the Cisco Site. The ios indeed does not contain the Encapsulation command. Strange that it does allow us to create a subinterface but not assign an encapsulation.

Without the encapsulation command , I assume that we cannot assign an Ip address , hence the only solution is to change the IOS.

HOpe this Helps

Cheers!!

Rustom Billimoria

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card