cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

error on my 2500

kewlpit911
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, I encountered (for the first time) an error saying "image checksum error". I tried to reload, but to no avail. I tried to overwrite the existing image using image from another router which is running, I got an "checksum failure". What is the cause of this problem and what are solutions that I can do? Do i need to reinstall the IOS? Thank you very much in advance...

3 Replies 3

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello kewlpit,

see this explanation :

When booting, a router may detect that a Cisco IOS software image is corrupt, return the compressed image checksum is incorrect message, and attempt to reload, reporting the event as a software-forced crash:

Error : compressed image checksum is incorrect 0x54B2C70A

Expected a checksum of 0x04B2C70A

*** System received a Software forced crash ***

signal= 0x17, code= 0x5, context= 0x0

PC = 0x800080d4, Cause = 0x20, Status Reg = 0x3041f003

This can be caused by a Cisco IOS software image that has actually been corrupted during transfer to the router, in which case it can be resolved by loading a new image onto the router. [Search for a ROMMON recovery method for your platform here.]

It may also be caused by faulty memory hardware or by a software bug.

You need to install the latest IOS on the router and boot it to stop this error..

hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

If I understand the original post correctly this is a router and an image that have been running for a while successfully. If that is true then the discussion about an image corrupted during transfer is not the right answer.

I strongly suspect that it is a memory error. I would suggest that you power down the router. Remove and reinstall the memory and try booting again. If you are lucky the memory just got partially unseated (have you perhaps moved the router recently?). If reseating the memory does not fix it then I would suspect that you have a memory hardware issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you very much for everyone's reply. Its a big help for me. I strongly agree it is a memory hardware issue since the router is running for quite sometime. I followed the remove- reinstall process and it wasnt fixed.Well, I guess its really the right time for my old router to retire. :) Anyway, I hope I can still find memory of this router so I can use it as a back up.. Again, I really appreciate everyone's help. Good thing I joined this forum! Have a nice day!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card