Views
Helpful
Replies

ERSPAN on nexus switch using management VRF

kthned
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

Why is not possible to use management VRF for ERSPAN. I wanted to have erspan for port e1/48 from management IP 172.20.10.4 to 172.10.10.229. But it is not possible from vrf managment. Does anyone has any explanation on this !

dc2-sw02(config-erspan-src)# vrf management
ERROR: VRF Invalid for ERSPAN session

monitor session 10 type erspan-source
source interface Ethernet1/48 both
destination ip 172.10.10.229
erspan-id 10
vrf management

monitor erspan origin ip-address 172.20.10.4 global

4 Replies 4

stayd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have this issue too. I still could not find out what it is root cause of this configuration error.

I did not find anything in Guidelines and Limitations for ERSPAN about VRF.

Have  solved this issue for yourself or not ?

Hi

I have this problem too on the Nexus 3548 with 6.0(2)A4(6)

Any explanation?

skeetabomb
Level 1
Level 1

See second bullet on page 19-307, Chapter 19, "Configuring ERSPAN: Guidelines and Limitations".

- "ERSPAN is not supported for management ports."

As to why it is not supported? Well, that is a question for the NX-OS developers...but as appears to be the case for so many questions posed here on the Cisco Community forum, I suspect it will continue to go unanswered... :( I think only money opens their ears...

I'll give you my 2cents on this.

Supervisors are attached to the backplane(or call it fabric) via 2x1G links(talking about N7Ks, but the following logic will apply to other platforms), one Inband and one out of band (EOBC). Passing a SPAN session over these links will probably saturate the bandwidth causing big problems as main comunications/processes between IO modules and SUPS will fail.

Supervisors are there just to control the switch, not to pass traffic, SPAN/ERSPAN are data plane technologies whereas the supevisor is mainly working on the control/management plane.

HTH,

ADP

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card