Views
Helpful
Replies

Establishing Connectivity between two networks

Asemmoqbel
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

We set up a MW P2P link between branch and HQ to get internet from HQ and it's working fine as per the topology attached.

My branch devices and Pcs are configured with IPs from subnet: 192.168.99.0/24 GW: 192.168.99.1 and all within vlan 1.

so the traffic from My PC is passing along the way to broadband modem GW:192.168.99.1 and then access the internet just fine and as you see we have simple design.

What I need to do is to be able to access the MW IPs for management from My PC and I am searching for the best practice. I am thinking about creating a new vlan for MW management traffic  on L3-sw and change port F0/1 to trunk and then enable IP Routing. Would this configuration work with me?

Thanks ..

18 Replies 18

Hello,

the IP addresses you are talking about are 192.168.0.1/30 and 192.168.0.2/30 I assume. How exactly is the link MW connection configured ? How is that connected to the switch ?

Dear Georg,

Yes I mean IPs 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 as they are assigned for MW both ends.

The Mw link is providing us with L2 connection as if both switch and modem are directly connected. and this working for access the internet since modem IP: 192.168.99.1 is on same network configured on PCs and servers on branch.

Hello,

sorry for the confusion, I am tying to get my head around how this link works. How is the MW connected to the switch ? Is that some sort of tunnel ? Is the MW directly connected to a switchport ?

Dear Georg,

We are using two microwave dishes from Linkra Networks pointing to each other to send traffic over wireless signal.

the microwave via POE is connected direct to L2-switch Ethernet port..

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As per the diagram you looking to extend Layer2 on Layer 3 Link is not possible

Options :

1. You can male MW Link in bridge mode, so your Layer 2 VLAN will be stretched between offices.

2. otehr option with your setiup - you need to add different IP subnet on the branch office, make static route  ( branch router from HQ to branch side - From Branch subnet towards HQ side)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Dear Balaj,

Actually I am not trying to send over vlans between offices as this is not my requirement.

all what i need to do is to access MW IPs: 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 from my pc using IP:192.168.99.100.

Currently I can access MW IPs by changing my pc ip to 192.168.0.10 to exists on same subnet and within vlan 1 the access is established. so I don't want to change my ip every time to manage MWs.

If i Trunk F0/1 that is connected to MW and add vlan 5 for example for MW access and also enable Ip routing. can the switch segregate the traffic vlan 1 for 192.168.99.0/24 and vlan 5 for 192.168.0.0/24 and then do the routing..??

Hello,

post the current running configuration of your switch, and indicate which port is connecting to the MW.

Currently I can access MW IPs by changing my pc ip to 192.168.0.10 to exists on same subnet and within vlan 1 the access is established. so I don't want to change my ip every time to manage MWs.

when the p2p link has /30 how you able to access by adding IP not able to understand. is this configuration of MW is wrong or digram showing wrong ?

if this is routed linke if the subnet is correct and it is trunk port you can ad any vlan interface same subnet part of MW should able to access Wireless MW, what brand is this ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Asemmoqbel
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Georg,

I don't know how posting the configuration would help as it's very simple but no problem here it is after omitting lines:

Spoiler

version 12.2
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
service password-encryption
!
hostname Office-L2-Aggregation-SW
!

!

no aaa new-model
ip subnet-zero
ip routing
!
vtp mode transparent
!
!

spanning-tree mode pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id
!
vlan internal allocation policy ascending
!

!
!
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
description <<<connection to Linkra MW >>
switchport mode dynamic desirable
!
interface FastEthernet0/2
!
interface FastEthernet0/3
description <<<connection to 1st floor Switch - 3550 switch >>
load-interval 30
!
interface FastEthernet0/4
!
interface FastEthernet0/5
description ((connected to second 3COM Switch))
switchport mode access
speed 100
duplex full
!
interface FastEthernet0/6
description <<<Connected to Switch cisco 2924XL >>>
!
interface FastEthernet0/7
!
interface FastEthernet0/8
!
interface FastEthernet0/9
description ### WIRELESS ACCESS POINT CONNECTED ###
switchport mode access
!
interface FastEthernet0/10
description <<< Connected to HR & Finance >>>
!
interface FastEthernet0/11
duplex full
spanning-tree portfast
!
interface FastEthernet0/12
duplex full
spanning-tree portfast
!
interface FastEthernet0/13
!
interface FastEthernet0/14
!
interface FastEthernet0/15
duplex full
spanning-tree portfast
!
interface FastEthernet0/16
duplex full
!
interface FastEthernet0/17
spanning-tree portfast
!
interface FastEthernet0/18
load-interval 30
!
interface FastEthernet0/19
duplex full
spanning-tree portfast
!
interface FastEthernet0/20
!
interface FastEthernet0/21
!
interface FastEthernet0/22
!
interface FastEthernet0/23
!
interface FastEthernet0/24
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
!
interface Vlan1
description Office LAN-AGGREGATION L2 SW
ip address 192.168.99.150 255.255.255.0
!

ip classless
ip http server
ip http secure-server
!
!
ip access-list standard FOR_SNMP_POLL
permit 192.168.99.0 0.0.0.255

The MW is connected to Port f0/1 and my pc is available behind port f0/6.

Best regards

Asem

Hello,

the main 'issue' is that in your drawing, the IP addresses of the Linkras have /30 subnet masks, which means there are no IP addresses left for anything else, such as the default gateway. I am reading though the Linkra manuals, and it looks like by default, the devices have a 192.168.0.x/24 address. In order to even consider adding a management Vlan for the Linkras, you need to change the masks on both devices. If you can do that, add the Vlan interface below (since ip routing is already enabled on your switch, that is all you need).

interface Vlan2
description Linkra MW Management Vlan
ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

Asemmoqbel
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry guys, by mistake I put the mask /30 in the diagram and it's /24. that's why I can access MW when I change my pc IP.

hi Georg,

If I add SVI vlan 2 for MW and then configure the port as trunk, would it work?

I need to understand how the routing will happen on L3 SW and how it will segregate traffic knowing that vlan 2 not available on the remote modem?? the SW will add tag to vlan 2 traffic based on what?

I want to make sure that the added configurations will work because I am afraid when I change port f0/1 to trunk somehow vlan 1 will be negatively affected.

Best regards 

Asem 

Hello,

I lab tested your setup, setting the interface to trunk should work. 

I would, to be on the safe side, configure this from a console connection.

hello,

Ok i will do that and see ..

Thank you 

best Regards

Asem

Hello

I need to understand how the routing will happen on L3 SW and how it will segregate traffic knowing that vlan 2 not available on the remote modem?? the SW will add tag to vlan 2 traffic based on what?

Looking at your diagram it suggests the wifi devices are bridging between your switch and the modem hence the reason your only have the one vlan

what you could try is to give the switch svi a secondary ip address

int vlan 1

ip adresss x.x.x.x y.y.y.y secondary 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card