Views
Helpful
Replies

Ether Channel on Nexus2000

mohammedrafiq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to connect my sever with daual homed to two Nexus 2232 fex which are part of two Nexus 5548 vPC pair( topologyu attached) but getting error on Nexus 5548 as below,

Not sure its allowed  under Nexus 2000.

""Port-channel members across FEXes is not allowed, new member Ethernet101/1/12(0x1f6402c0) existing membe: : Ethernet100/1/12

command failed: port not compatible [All HIF member ports not in same pinning group]"""
5548-1# sh fex
  FEX         FEX           FEX                       FEX
Number    Description      State            Model            Serial
------------------------------------------------------------------------
100        FEX0100                Online    N2K-C2232PP-10GE   JAF1443AFMB
101        FEX0101                Online    N2K-C2232PP-10GE   JAF1443AFPQ
- Show quoted text -

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

In order to provide end host aggregation, you must have the fabric extenders each homed only to a single parent 5K.  You still run vPC between the 5Ks, but the aggregated port-channel is actually with the end host.  If you have the fabric extenders dual-homed with a port-channel to both parent 5Ks you are not able to provide end host aggregation accross the fabric extenders.

Please see below link to the vPC section of the 5K configuration guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/layer2/502_n2_1/Cisco_n5k_layer2_config_gd_rel_502_N2_1_chapter8.html

Hope this helps

Martin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

In order to provide end host aggregation, you must have the fabric extenders each homed only to a single parent 5K.  You still run vPC between the 5Ks, but the aggregated port-channel is actually with the end host.  If you have the fabric extenders dual-homed with a port-channel to both parent 5Ks you are not able to provide end host aggregation accross the fabric extenders.

Please see below link to the vPC section of the 5K configuration guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/layer2/502_n2_1/Cisco_n5k_layer2_config_gd_rel_502_N2_1_chapter8.html

Hope this helps

Martin

Thanks Martin.

Regards.

Is their some reason why documentation realted to how to configure a to configurate the nexus is not public facing?

I would like to read up on these rules.  I have two 5010s... each have two 2248s hanging off each and I wired into these 2248s mulitple CISCO 3012 switches which I was hoping to do what I did with my 6509 switch, create two etherchannels of 2x1Gb cross connected for NSPOF.

I don't know if the issue is a cabling issue in the way I wired them, or a configuration issue with the port group mode (or maybe even a NXOS version issue)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card