Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ether Channeling on two different sfp modules

Hi Experts,

I would like to know if an Ether channel can be created using two different SFP modules i.e using

glc-sx-mm and glc-lh-sm on a switch or on any other device.

Thanks

Abdul Malik.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Dragan Ilic
Level 4
Level 4

I didn't tested something like this in production. But having in mind that you can bundle copper and SFP interfaces in etherchannel as long as they have same speed, L2/L3 config etc I think that this is possible...but not 100% sure

HTH,
Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

View solution in original post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Abdul

Etherchannel does not care about the physical media as long as things like speed, duplex etc. match.

So Dragan is right that it should work fine.

Jon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dragan Ilic
Level 4
Level 4

I didn't tested something like this in production. But having in mind that you can bundle copper and SFP interfaces in etherchannel as long as they have same speed, L2/L3 config etc I think that this is possible...but not 100% sure

HTH,
Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Abdul

Etherchannel does not care about the physical media as long as things like speed, duplex etc. match.

So Dragan is right that it should work fine.

Jon

Thanks for the valuable replies.

Also i would like to know if there is a particular cisco document or something that specifies the same coz i have to share the same with a customer.

Well I can only recommend global document like this one for example:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/etherchannel/12025-49.html

HTH,
Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

That reference doesn't appear to mention, on the 6500s, if you do Etherchannel across line cards with different QoS architectures, Etherchannel may be "unhappy".  There's a no mls qos channel-consistency command to address this.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card