Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel between ISR4331 and cisco 9200 series Switch

kick534
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i want to make etherchannel between ISR4331 router with Cisco 9200 Series stacking Switches,

I have a doubt in ISR4331 which type of NIM cards should i used to make 4 uplinks as etherchannel connecting to Cisco Switches,

1) NIM-4 (4-Port Serial WAN Interface card) ???

OR

2) NIM-ES2-4 (4-port Layer 2 GE Switch Network Interface Module)????

Please advice. and if there is any document for configuration also Help full.

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello kick534,

a catalyst switch cannot have serial interfaces, but only LAN interfaces, so the only good option is:

>> 2) NIM-ES2-4 (4-port Layer 2 GE Switch Network Interface Module)????

However, for performance reasons I would not build a 4 x GE etherchannel between an ISR 4331 and a Cat9200.

A 2 x 1GE port-channel is what you can do for having redundancy, but do not expect the ISR 4331 to be able to work at line rate on both interfaces both directions with every frame size including minimum size 64 bytes ethernet frames.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Mr.Giuseppe,

Thank you for reply,

So in ISR 4331 i will install NIM-ES2-4 (4-port Layer 2 GE Switch Network Interface Module)

and 9200 Switch Side i will use 2 or 4 port to create Ether-channel,

But when i search randomly below link showing ether-channel not supported please clarify :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet_c78-612808.html

Please can you Provide any documentation that ether-channel will support on ISR 4331 and  Configuration Steps

Thanks

Hello kick534,

you are right etherchannel is not supported on these modules.

Rated as it deserves

I don'think the built in routed ports can support etherchannel too. But I have no time now to check this.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi ,,

Does the NIM-2GE-CU-SFP support etherchannel? I have seen in other forums that it supports etherchannel but not sure if its in both built-in and NIM, please confirm.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/does-cisco-isr-4331-router-support-etherchannel/td-p/3030439

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card