Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel - issue

aguante_boca
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Fellows,

I have been experiencing some issue with a portchannel interface.

I have two cisco switches 3560 and I have a portchannel between them ( It is composed by two gigabitethernet interfaces generating a portchannel of 2 Gigas ).

Unfortunately, I am verifying that one interface traffics about 893MB but the other interface only traffics about 100MB.

Is there any cause why is this happening?

I thought that maybe both interfaces would traffic about 450MB.

Is there some wrong configuration with the load-balance command?. At this moment there is no load-balance, It is only configured the portchannel with the default configuration.

Thanks in advanced!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Onno,

load balancing is flow based in etherchannel so what you see can happen without errors in configuration.

if there are few very high traffic volume flows  ( based on IP source address and IP destination address) and the hashing function maps them to the same member link, one link will be much more used then the other member link.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

No.  As Giuseppe noted, you're limited by the hashing function.  Depending on the device's capabilities you can configure hashing to best relate to your particular flows, but you won't be able to perfectly balance the link.  I feel that Cisco Etherchannel "load balancing" should be better termed "load sharing" as it's not really "balancing" traffic.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Onno,

load balancing is flow based in etherchannel so what you see can happen without errors in configuration.

if there are few very high traffic volume flows  ( based on IP source address and IP destination address) and the hashing function maps them to the same member link, one link will be much more used then the other member link.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank Giuseppe!

However, I would like to know if there is any chance to balance both links correctly. (450MB more o less on both gigabitethernet interfaces).

Thanks in advanced!

No.  As Giuseppe noted, you're limited by the hashing function.  Depending on the device's capabilities you can configure hashing to best relate to your particular flows, but you won't be able to perfectly balance the link.  I feel that Cisco Etherchannel "load balancing" should be better termed "load sharing" as it's not really "balancing" traffic.

aguante_boca
Level 1
Level 1

So, as I understand. If I continue aggregating more interfaces, only one interface is going to flow data correctly. Is that correct?.

The other ones are going to traffic only a 10%?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Not exactly.

A single traffic flow will only use one link.  Multiple flows are "hashed" across all the links.  As the hashing is static, it's possible flows will be directed to the same link even when other links are unused.  Additionally, Etherchannel doesn't account for how busy any link is, so a couple of high volume flows might saturate some link or links, while other links only have low volume flows and available capacity.

As mentioned by the other posters, some Cisco devices support multiple choices for the hash; sometimes changing hash being used can provide better load distribution (this always requires multiple flows to get this advantage).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card