cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel on Nexus between different line cards

plantowski
Level 1
Level 1

Is the following etherchannel scenario even possible? On one end ports on a single Nexus 7000 switch split between 2 different line cards, a M series 10G line card and an F series 10G/1G line card and the other end a 3750X stack or a 4500 switch. Or, M series 1G and F Series 10G/1G on one end and a 3750X stack or 4500 on the other end. If this is possible does the M series 10G port have to be in dedicated mode or can it be shared?

Does anyone have a similar setup in place that's working?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sounds good

and about the performance it wont be problem sinc eyou are aware and if the F in L2 faster but you are ok with M performace then wont be an issue i think

hope this help

pls rate the helpful post

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

ok first of all

you need to have both links using same speed 10 or 1 G

for the M and F if you runing the etherchannel as L2 only it won't be a problem and it is better to distribute the links over differnt line card however there are some differences in terms of L2 performance between M and F modules !

if you want to use L3 ether channel then here will be a problem because F series dose not support L3 and it has to go to the M line card for routing and come back for forwarding and this case need a careful design

hope this help

if helpful Rate

Thank you marwanshawi, to clarify, these would be L2 only. I realize that the F series does not support L3. I would of course configure the same speed on both ends. I've only mentioned F series "10G/1G" because the line card supports both.

We are considering the purchase of the F series line cards to provide some uplink redundancy for the already exisiting M series 10G and 1G line cards. Purchasing the same additional M series 10G and 1G line cards would of course be perfect but it would not be cost effective for us.

I also know that there are L2 performance differences between the M and F series, would that cause any problems, has someone actually faced a similar scenario and got this to work?

Thanks

sounds good

and about the performance it wont be problem sinc eyou are aware and if the F in L2 faster but you are ok with M performace then wont be an issue i think

hope this help

pls rate the helpful post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco