Views
Helpful
Replies

Ethernet or ATM Interface

Joy3
Level 1
Level 1

Hallo,

I have two ISR routers configured with the same configs. However, I am not sure how they each select the ADSL uplink between ATM and ethernet interfaces. Could anyone kindly explain this, because one of the routers has both the ATM interface and its subinterface up and the other one has its ethernet and sub ethernet interface up. How is this selected. I hope my question is clear.

Router1:

ATM0/2/0 unassigned YES unset down down
ATM0/2/0.7 unassigned YES unset down down
Ethernet0/2/0 unassigned YES NVRAM up up

Ethernet0/2/0.7 unassigned YES unset up up

Router2:

ATM0/2/0 unassigned YES unset up up
ATM0/2/0.7 unassigned YES unset up up
Ethernet0/2/0 unassigned YES NVRAM down down
Ethernet0/2/0.7 unassigned YES unset down down

Thanks.

Regards,

Joy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

it completely depends on what your ISP has on their end, that is, whether they provide ATM or Ethernet connections. Who is, or are, your ISP(s) ?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

it completely depends on what your ISP has on their end, that is, whether they provide ATM or Ethernet connections. Who is, or are, your ISP(s) ?

Joy3
Level 1
Level 1

Hallo @Georg Pauwen. both routers are connected to the same ISP, Telecom Germany.

Hello,

do you get Ethernet or ATM connectivity when you connect the routers to the same ISP uplink ? What (if any) Telecom device is connected between your router(s) and the actual ISP ? Usually they put some sort of modem at your location...

JimWicks
Level 1
Level 1

ADSL will always be shown as an "ATM interface" and VDSL will always be "Ethernet" framing...............if you have left your

controller vdsl0/2/0

as default config then it will autosense between the supported options and so depending upon what the remote DSLAM supports it will depend upon how the interfaces on the devices come up.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card