cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchanging routing updates across an MPLS network

daniel.kline
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to exchange IGB routing updates between my routers on a providers MPLS network. My connection to the MPLS cloud is typically a point-to-point. I configure and install these networks for various clients and, therefore, work with multiple service providers. Each provider seems to give a different answer as to how this can be accomplished.

Any reference materials would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

dk

2 Replies 2

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

What series of routers as well as IOS are you using?

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

technically between CE and PE besides static routing the following dynamic IP routing protocolls are possible (with Cisco equipment):

1) RIPv1 and RIPv2

2) EIGRP

3) OSPF

4) eBGP

5) ISIS (limited platforms)

Your CE does only need a "standard" configuration. There will be nothing needed refering to MPLS or VRF.

The most challenging part is to avoid routing loops in case redundant PE-CE connectivity is in place. This is because you need mutual redistribution with iBGP in the PE.

For redundant connections RIP is no good choice, OSPF and BGP are preferable, and EIGRP is limited to Cisco gear at the SP network.

Off course there is a difference between technology and a SP product. Not every SP will support every dynamic protocoll listed. So you need to negotiate, what you would like to achieve and what the SP is willing to provide. In the end it is probably a question of money ;-)

Side note: carefully design backup solutions because of possible routing loops and also because of convergence time requirements. Clearly define convergence time SLAs, if your applications have according requirements.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco