Helpful
Replies

extension of LAN

TGF_Cisco
Level 1
Level 1

hello I have tried posting this in multiple forums but never got a reply

Hoping to get an answer here !

currently we have a DC in our office and plan to move out to hosted infrastructure soon.

the way we are connected to internet is through Cisco ASA and we use 3750 on our core switches.

What kind of a design change can I expect in terms of our core once we have the new Dc is set up elsewhere.

We are running out of ports on our existing core and I need to understand the design before I purchae equipment.
I beleive that we would need just a couple of ports for which I might have to buy a new 3750-12S which is a pure waste since our Dc network will move over.

any advice on the new design?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't you have a reputable consultant, or Certfied Cisco partner to work with you on the design of such important projects ?

Hello,

Not really sure what you are asking!  I assume "DC" you are mean domain controller, not data centre?

I beleive that we would need just a couple of ports -What do you need these these ports for?

Can you be expand on the questions and if possible a topology diagram of current network design

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate this post if it has been helpful.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Dc refers to data center

Current core handles routing between user and server farm network
More ports are required to extend LAN to new hosted facility

I will try to draw a network diag and explain

Why would you need more ports if you are going to have less equipment?

This is my probleM.

When a service provider offers l2 extension services I believe that they will be providing customer edge routers to connect into thir network

In order to achieve this since we don't have enough ports on our existing core I need to buy additional ports even though the server farm will eventually migrate over to new hosted facility

I believe it is not a great IDEa to buy a pair of 3750 core to offer additional port capacity
I hope that we can find a different way to interconnect to the new provider network

We have a customer that has completed the same thing your going through and I would strongly suggest that you bring in a consultant to work with you. A posting here is only going to give you multiple ideas and perhaps options, but a consultant will look at the overall network and business plan; and hopefully guide you to the correct solution for the business model.

In the end you will need an additional resource that is more involved -

Thanks and good luck!

Ryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card