Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover between static routes

gkurunthasalam
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

i understand we can use IP SLA for failover between 2 ISP's which use static routes.

Do we have anyother possibility to achieve failover between 2 static routes more effectively than IP SLA (since ip sla doesnt give proper output if there is an impact in performance of the link, we may tune frequent, time out settings but i want to know other options).

Scenario - 2 ISP link on same router on 2 different physical interface and uses internet traffic default routes.i will use IPsec over GRE for corporate traffics.

Do we have any other mechanism to achieve failover between 2 static routes other than IP SLA?

Regards

Gokul

3 Replies 3

Terence Payet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gokul,

I don't think there's any other way to achieve failover with static routes. If you want to implement failover with other criteria such as link utilisations etc.. The only thing in mind is PfR (Performance Routing). But PfR is two way, so your ISP will need to configure on their side as well and due to the complexity of PfR, I dont think your ISP will agree to this.

HTH.

Regards,

Terence

"But PfR is two way"

It can be, but that's not required to deal with path outages.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
"Do we have any other mechanism to achieve failover between 2 static routes other than IP SLA?"

Depends what kind of failure you're trying to address.

Static routes will deal with loss of your local physical connection. What they don't deal with is loss of the link, or destination, logically. Terence's mention of PfR can deal with logical link loss. (PfR can use both its own Netflow and IP SLA to determine lost to even specific destinations on one path.)
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card