cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Floating virtual IP

erga
Level 1
Level 1

I have two server in two different geographical locations, and need to configure a virtual floating IP for them.

What is a way to achieve this, besides round robin DNS.

I just need to know where to start, I understand BGP could be used, not sure how to make the advertising dynamic.

This is for ADFS clustering.

11 Replies 11

Hello,

so you have a virtual IP for two servers that form an ADFS cluster, and the two servers are in geographically different locations...?

I am not sure if this is possible at all, since you will have to deal with two different public IP addresses on the outside. I assume with round robin DNS you mean split DNS ?

Correct. We have dmvpn in between sites so its two private IPs.

I'm not sure if there's a way to do this, if the servers are on different network segments.

Hello,

how many DMVPN spokes do you have ? A possibility would be two static host routes at each site pointing the virtual IP to the two different physical IP addresses, that would automatically load balance...

I have two spokes and the servers sit behind each spoke, as well as the users.
The system teams prefers the virtual IP option instead of round robin

Hello,

what I mean is this. Let's say 192.168.1.1 is the virtual IP. So on both spokes you would configure something like this:

ip route 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.255 FastEthernet0/0

ip route 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.255 Tunnel0

What about the users accessing the floating IP behind the scopes.

Would a static floating route work in this case, I have ASAs and ASR wan routers

Hello,

I am not following, what IP address range do you want to reach, from where ? Post a schematic drawing of your topology, as there is apparently more involved than a simple hub and spoke...

This is a simple diagram

Simple_diagram.JPG

This is a simple diagram

Simple_diagram.JPG

Hello, 

try the two static routes as suggested, with one pointing to the tunnel, and the other to the ASA....

With ASAs in the path I would be concerned about path selection consistency etc. GTM/Global Load balancing/DNS load balancing is the obvious answer, but to do this in routing, you might be best to look towards an anycast solution using IPSLA as the basis for the anycast advertisement.

Hope this helps

Dave

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card