Views
Helpful
Replies

Fr-relay config, s0/1 is up, line protocol is down. on the Fr-relay switch

Kishor2125
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I configured a hybrid frame-relay for pracitce.

I hve 2 Fr-relay sw. 1 3640  with 8 serial ports

2. 4500 4 serial ports

on 3640 when i confiured it as frame-relay sw.  the 4 int i configured shows line protocol down.

same configuration when i use on 4500 series 3 of th 4 int goes up and i can form map, pvc r established n i can ping but 1 int is down.

all other config of frame-relay r ok and i tried the same thing on GNS as well as rental rack and it works fine.

on my home rack i m having this problem.

Help

Thanks.

Kishor

4 Replies 4

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Can you post config of FR switches and a topology diagram and also indicate more clearly what is happening.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Looks like the Frame relay switch is up.Please check the other end..

1)configure the router with frame-relay map ip command (or) frame-relay interface-dlci command on the other router

2)Check if the "frame relay route" command is  configured in the frame relay switch

3)Try connecting two devices with the FRS and try pinging to check if it works..

Also attach the o/ps if possible

HTH

Karthic.R.S.

thanks  guys.

I got it fixed. it was a layer 1 problem. my back to back serial cable ws bad

and thus my frame relay switch always showed me serial 1 is up and line protocol

is down. and there fore i was not able to established any pvc.

I changed  the cable after spending 20 hours of trouble shooting. some times its

fun to learn the hard way.

Thanks again

Kishor

I am glad that you got it working. And I agree that sometimes it is fun to learn some of these lessons the hard way.

Thank you for posting back to the forum that you had solved it and what the problem was. It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can also read about what the problem was and what was involved in the solution. You have provided that (+5 to you for that). And your post is a reminder that most of us tend to look for solutions believing that the problem is more complex/higher layer of the stack. And sometimes the problem is really lower level.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card