cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FrameRelay WAN links to ATM Central Site

Mark Hovey
Level 1
Level 1

I adopted a 5 site, frame relay WAN, that was undersubscribed at the main location. All WAN links and the main are at 1.5M. No math degree required to figure out that the cumulative bandwidth between remote sites and main will get congested. Right now, we are very close. If two branch locations have a busy day, it directly impacts all branches.

This is a hub/spoke configuration with Voice, Data and Management in each location and call management centralized.

My frame relay provider gave several options to aleviate the problem, one being a full ATM connection in the main location with the remote DLCIs pointed to the ATM at the main location. I am really looking for some feedback as to whether this is a solid solution, and How does the router configuration in the main location change from it's frame-relay config. Also, documentation and references would help.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Mark,

That is certainly a solution that is widely used in the industry.

Instead of configuring FR DLCIs, you would simply be configuring ATM PVCs at the hub site. You might want to go through the following document on ATM configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cg/hatm_c/part05/wchatm.htm

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

Thanks Paresh,

I have read most of the ATM configuration documentation available and it looks rather simple. I was just wondering about other solutions and with this conversion being on the horizon, it is an opportune time to evaluate all of the other options.

Mark,

There are a number of options available out there and this FR/ATM layer 2 connectivity option is indeed on the wane. I would suggest that you consider a provider which offers layer 3 VPNs. That would mean that you could use a metro ethernet-type connection to your hub site. Apart from the fact that it's likely to be less expensive, you also get the advantage of full-mesh connectivity between your sites.

That's the way VPNs are going at the moment...

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: