Views
Helpful
Replies

Gateway of last resort is not set

PolarPanda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I'm trying to configure a router with routing protocol EIGRP. I have this show up when type sh ip route:  Gateway of last resort is not set.
        So I started to config: ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 xxxx (next hop IP address). then setup redistribute static under EIGRP

Then i still have the same result when sh ip route: gateway of lst resort is not set

Does anyone know what i miss? Thank you.

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure what is this device and what is configured, below document help :  ( some time you do not need default route, as long as Router known what route take based on the learning routes). but may be your case different.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/enhanced-interior-gateway-routing-protocol-eigrp/200279-Configure-Default-route-in-EIGRP.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

redistributing the static route into EIGRP would make the default route appear on the neighboring router, as a D-EX route, not on the router where 'redistribute static' is configured. Either way, below is a configuration example, and the corresponding output of 'show ip route'. You need to make sure that both interfaces are up and reachable from each other:

R1

interface GigabitEthernet0/0
ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252
duplex auto
speed auto
!
router eigrp 1
network 1.1.1.0 0.0.0.3
network 11.11.11.11 0.0.0.0
redistribute static
!
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.2

R1#sh ip route

Gateway of last resort is 1.1.1.2 to network 0.0.0.0

S* 0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via 1.1.1.2
1.0.0.0/8 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks
C 1.1.1.0/30 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/0
L 1.1.1.1/32 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/0
11.0.0.0/32 is subnetted, 1 subnets
C 11.11.11.11 is directly connected, Loopback0
22.0.0.0/32 is subnetted, 1 subnets
D 22.22.22.22 [90/130816] via 1.1.1.2, 00:04:31, GigabitEthernet0/0

R2

interface Loopback0
ip address 22.22.22.22 255.255.255.255
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.252
duplex auto
speed auto
!
router eigrp 1
network 1.1.1.0 0.0.0.3
network 22.22.22.22 0.0.0.0

R2#sh ip route

Gateway of last resort is 1.1.1.1 to network 0.0.0.0

D*EX 0.0.0.0/0 [170/3072] via 1.1.1.1, 00:04:02, GigabitEthernet0/0
1.0.0.0/8 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks
C 1.1.1.0/30 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/0
L 1.1.1.2/32 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/0
11.0.0.0/32 is subnetted, 1 subnets
D 11.11.11.11 [90/130816] via 1.1.1.1, 00:07:40, GigabitEthernet0/0
22.0.0.0/32 is subnetted, 1 subnets
C 22.22.22.22 is directly connected, Loopback0

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @PolarPanda ,

it is difficult to say what can be the problem without more details.

However, as already noted the next-hop specified in the default static route must be reachable and usually directly connected to your router.

In other words if the next-hop is out a LAN interface the router needs to be able to resolve the next-hop in a usable MAC address.

So a good starting point if you have only LANs is

show ip arp <next-hop-ip-address>

if you have a mix of LAN and serial interfaces check where the next-hop is:

show ip route <next-hop-ip-address>

for serial interfaces is enough to know what is the exit interface to the next-hop.

However, in any case to qualify as a gateway of last resort the specified next-hop must be directly connected to a router interface or L2 adjacent if you want to be more elegant.

Is the static route to 0.0.0.0/0 installed in your routing table ?

is the next-hop directy connected to your router ?

if the answer is yes to both then you should see the gateway of last resort populated with the IP address of the next-hop.

Redistrubuting into EIGRP is for advertising the default route to other routers speaking EIGRP, but it does not solve for the local node.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thank you so much for the detail info. Much appreciated!

Static route 0.0.0.0 not installed on router (I compared to other working router, none of them has static route for 0.0.0.0)

next hop not direct connect to router. the next hop router connects to this router (and other working router) via vMPLS through ISP, and it's lay2 traffic.

I did some debugging on EIGRP. So I can see the non-working router sending hello package to next hop, but not able to receive update package. When I ping 224.0.0.10 on non-working router, the result only showed local ip address. When ping on working routers, result showed all EIGRP neighbors. So i guess multicast not working on router? but not sure how to fix it

I agree that we do not have sufficient detail to understand the issue or to be able to offer good advice. As far as the issue of the configured static default route not being installed please provide the exact syntax of the static route you are configuring (if the next hop address is a public IP then disguise the leading octet(s) (if this is a class A ip then use 10, if class B use 172.16, if class C use 192.168). Also please post the output of show ip route (and for any Public IP use the disguise suggested).

As far as issues may exist about EIGRP not working please post these items:

- The configuration of EIGRP (especially focusing on the network statements - which will indicate which interfaces are used).

- The output of show ip eigrp interface and show ip eigrp neighbor

- The output of show ip interface brief

- The configuration of the interfaces where EIGRP will be running (looking especially for any configured access lists)

HTH

Rick

Hello

I started to config: ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 xxxx (next hop IP address). then setup redistribute static under EIGRP

Then i still have the same result when sh ip route: gateway of lst resort is not set

Can you confirm if the next-hop address in that static default relates to a connected interface on the rtr or if its a recursive next-hop as It needs to be a connected interface for it to work

Edited - apologies my question has already been asked!

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card