Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gateway / Switches / Vlans / NAS / Printers / AppleTVs / AirPlay / Chr

Gateway / Switches / Vlans / NAS / Printers / AppleTVs / AirPlay / Chromecast

Hi all,

been dealing with some networks setups with all the elements above with some challenges in making them work smoothly/as it should.

Topology would be generally a classic one gateway(dhcp/firewall)>switch>WLAN>clients (approx 100 clients)

The main issues often is that the Gateway (dhcp controller/firewall) is provided and managed by an external company.

So all the vlans/firewall/DNS is under their direct control.

there is generally a standard setup of 4 vlans with some components of entertainment system working isolated on some of the vlans. Example below:

vlan 100 - NAS/Printer/AppleTV guests 100

vlan 200 - to access NAS on 100/to access Printer on 100/to access Apple TV guests 200

vlan 300 - to access NAS on 100/to access Printer on 100/

vlan 400 - to access NAS on 100/to access Printer on 100/ to access AppleTV on 100

The external provider of the gateway normally set all the VLANS etc (after we provided them with our needs/previous configurations etc). When I go and tag the different ports to the respective vlans I often run in to problems like the devices for exemple on vlan 100, once I tag those ports for vlan 100, they lose all connectivity.

The external provider says everything is set to have the NAS available across vlans but once I set the NAS in its configuration interface on vlan 100 and port accordingly, I lose access to the NAS.

Now I might be doing something wrong. But to make sure everything is correct, I am asking the gateway manager to provide all the configuration infos of their vlans setup/ports etc. Which they don't do.

Kind of playing in the dark a bit I feel.

From your experience how would you approach this and asking specific info to the external provider, what information would you ask them/expect them to provide in details in order to be all working on the same page and avoid breaking things up?

Also, how do you normally handle AirPlay on vlans? any suggestions?

What services/settings I need to make sure they have activated (Multicast/Bonjour/P2P etc) and settings that need to be shared?

Thank you so much!

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is not much information can community help here, since as you mentioned you playing in DARK, we can only try hit and trail concept rather technical approach here.

what is the device mode? and IOS code running ?

The external provider says everything is set to have the NAS available across vlans but once I set the NAS in its configuration interface on vlan 100 and port accordingly, I lose access to the NAS.

You need to draw a small diagram of how they are connected.  NAS is generally set up where Most of the NAS you like to connect.

So other resources can access - not sure why you lost connection.

switch>WLAN>clients   (if this is your control then provide config and how they set up?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi there @balaji.bandi , thanks for answering...

I have not much info on the device, it is not a main brand device but one custom of the  service provider.

The topology is relatively simple:

Gateway for service provider>Switch 48ports Fortinet (from service provider where all WANs are connected)>Switch Cisco Catalyst>WLAN on mobility express>Clients.

Nas is set on 100 where management network is, same for printers (HPs)

But we'd like to have NAS accessible also from the other VLANS (folders are restricted for different users).

For AppleTvs do you have recommendation on how to implement them across Vlans and config required on Cisco equipment?

Thank you

if that is simple, technically that should work.

with out knowing the model of switch and config, we still play in dark, (hit and trail as i mentioned)#

i would suggest to fix 1 issue at a time.

Apple TV using Wilress ? or Wired ? ( i would suggest to use single VLAN for apple TV deployment.

Hope this is not kind of Hotel Requirement ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card