Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GLC-T not recognized by IR829

IR829GW-LTE-VZ-AK9 is the PID of the router. IOS is 15.5(3)M1.

These are the messages I get when inserting/removing a GLC-T:

*Jun 9 10:56:27 CDT: %MAINBOARD_SFP-6-INSERTED: Transceiver module unknown SFP is inserted in GigabitEthernet0 port.
*Jun 9 10:56:27 CDT: %MAINBOARD_SFP-3-NOT_IDENTIFIED: Unidentified transceiver module in GigabitEthernet0 port.
*Jun 9 10:56:44 CDT: %MAINBOARD_SFP-6-REMOVAL: Transceiver module SFP is removed from GigabitEthernet0 port.

I have two different routers and two different GLC-Ts. Both GLCs give the same behavior in both routers. I don't have another device handy to try the GLCs in. The only switch I have close at hand is a 3560c, and since its SFPs are combo ports it won't accept a GLC-T.

A GLC-SX-MMD is recognized.

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is it a genuine Cisco SFP?

It is a genuine Cisco.

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/800/829/hardware/install/guide/829hwinst/pview.html#55084

SFP Modules

The router Ethernet SFP modules provide connections to other devices. These field-replaceable transceiver modules provide the uplink interfaces. Local connectors (LCs) provide the fiber-optic connection. RJ-45 connectors allow copper connections. You can use any combination of the supported SFP modules listed in the table that follows.

Table 1-8 Maximum Operating Temperature

Type of SFP Module
Model

Rugged and Industrial SFPs
ā€“40 to 185Ā°F (ā€“40 to 85Ā°C)

GLC-SX-MM-RGD with digital optical monitoring

(DOM) support

GLC-LX-SM-RGD with digital optical monitoring

(DOM) support

GLC-ZX-SM-RGD with digital optical monitoring

(DOM) support

I did find that, but a non-RGD SX unit worked fine. And I think it is very silly if the only L3 port (L2s are non-convertible) can only be fiber. So I'm hitting TAC on this. The support ticket may have to turn in to a feature request.

Interesting...got this tip from Cisco TAC:

IR800#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
IR800(config)#service internal
IR800(config)#service unsupported-transceiver
Warning: When Cisco determines that a fault or defect can be traced to
the use of third-party transceivers installed by a customer or reseller,
then, at Cisco's discretion, Cisco may withhold support under warranty or
a Cisco support program. In the course of providing support for a Cisco
networking product Cisco may require that the end user install Cisco
transceivers if Cisco determines that removing third-party parts will
assist Cisco in diagnosing the cause of a support issue.

*Jun 10 19:19:22.613: %MAINBOARD_SFP-6-INSERTED: Transceiver module 1000BaseT SFP is inserted in GigabitEthernet0 port.
*Jun 10 19:19:22.613: %MAINBOARD_SFP-6-CHANGED: Transceiver module SFP type is changed in GigabitEthernet0 port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card