Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE tunnel max bandwidth

sameermunj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

we have point to point metro ethernet link terminating on 7204VXR router.On this point to point link we are configuring GRE over ipsec. Problem is when the traffic exceeding 8mbps we started getting packet drops.

from the cisco documentation it seems the tunnle bandwidth is by default 8mbps and there is parameter like Inherit/receive but those actullay not change the tunnel interface bandwidth.If we just give tunnle bandwidth with bandwidth mentioned it allows me to give option of 100mbps but again the tunnle interface bandwidth remians 8mbpos only and probabaly that 100mbps is useful only for routing decisions.

i am using advance security 12.4.15T12 image.

can anyone please confirm weather this is a limitation or any other way to go beyond 8mbps for the tunnle interface (7204VXR-NPEG1 processor)

Regards

Sameer

18 Replies 18

Hi

I am awaiting your reply.i think that bandwidth parameter is only for taking routing decision.even  when i change the tunnle bandwidth 100mbps in my show interface tunnel 0 i can see bandwidth of 8mbps which is default.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the ratings Sameer.

can you please confirm my question .

hope u got the attached pdf which mention usage of bandwidth command

ajaju
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sameer,

I also noticed that if the router is running a universal image (as is the case if it has the 15.X code), then we need to enable the datak9 license inorder to get that command at interface level.

Regards,

Aniruddha

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card