Views
Helpful
Replies

hardware question about power supplies

n.titchener
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a 3745 router with dual power supplies and I'd like to connect these two two independent power sources. Our facility can only provide out-of-phase independent power, i.e. there is a phase difference of 120degrees between the two power supplies. The question is, will this damage or cause problems to my Cisco equipment.

Cheers

2 Replies 2

sgjmgreve
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This should not be a problem, I think they mean a dfferent phase then the first one. This has to do with AC power but it is more for lectrical guru's then for us network guys.

If the ellectrical plug delivered to you by the facility is the correct one to put your cord in then it should be OK, if it is different then what you are used to, don't try and contact you supplier.

Ragards,

Stefan.

Three phase AC power involves three sets of currents separated by a 120 degree phase. So even if one phase is down, the other two does provide power (as long as the appropriate electrical circuitry is installed). So if you plug each p/s into a different power socket, each socket from a different phase, you will have redundant power (as long as only one phase is down). Also if you want to protect your routers from unregulated electrical power, use a UPS.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card