Views
Helpful
Replies

Have question about protocol HSRP?

rechard_hk
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have some question about protocol HSRP, as i know HSRP is a protocol do fail over hardware( Active and Standby).

After i configured HSRP already and my configure is working ( switch 01 is Active and switch 02 is Standby ) but when i take my latop connect to switch 02, my latop can working ( i mean can access any where), after i show interface on switch 02 the number packet input is increase the same switch 01.

normaly if we do Active and Standby it mean that Active is working and Standby not working right?

If all of you know about this process please let me know !!!!

Beat Regards,

rechard

2 Replies 2

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

HSRP is a high availability protocol which presents to hosts a virtual gateway representing a group of real hardware gateways where

one real gateway is forwarding traffic destined to virtual gateway.So if you've got HSRP between 2 switches then they are exchanging traffic (hellos) to

know which is active and which is standby.Furthermore at L2 your standby switch is acting as a normal switch.

So maybe your situation is normal.Could you post topology and config of 2 switches.

Regards.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

vinod.agrahari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Richard,

I am feeling great to see such an excellent question from you.

So HSRP(Hot standby Routing Protocol) works on the concept as configured on both the L3 devices ,sent hello packet to check there availability in the regular interval but traffic always go through active device with the help of virtual Mac address.

But to get the traffic on both the L3 devices, we have to configure load balancing on the L3 device as by default it is not activated on it.

Please check if load balancing is configured on your L3 devices and to make better understanding about it please share your device configuration and LAN/WAN diagram to come on the final conclusion.

Thank you very much.

Regards

Vinod Agrahari

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card