Helpful
Replies

Having problem with NAT

StolenSkills
Level 1
Level 1

I got the the NAT part,

I configured PAT on both sides of R6 and R8

when I NAT one part so the network under R8 (192.168.1.0) is able to connect to everybody and get a dhcp adress

when I put a nat on both sides it doesn't work,

I have never done that kind of NAT so ill be glad for an explanation and help of what should I do

a Photo and file is added

Untitled.png

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @StolenSkills ,

>>

when I NAT one part so the network under R8 (192.168.1.0) is able to connect to everybody and get a dhcp adress

when I put a nat on both sides it doesn't work,

PAT works well for sessions started from internal network inside to outside.

if you configure PAT on R6 and R8 that are diectly connected to each other , whatever is the side that starts the connection how the destination address and TCP /UDP port  can be resolved to the correct non NATTED destination ?

In a scenario like yours NAT overload  can be done on one side only  for example on R8.

Doing a NAT overload on two routers directly connected makes little sense.

Just to tell you in case like this one side does PAT and the other side should use static NAT statements to make possible connections from its "outside" to "inside" and to correctly map to internal servers.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello
Putting aside your NAT for a moment, You current topology doesn’t have end-to-end connectivity, At present some hosts cannot even reach their own default-gateway!

Regards the NAT, if you wish to perform NAT then you don’t need to advertise the NATTED  "hidden" subnets between R6-R8 and if that’s the case then R6-R8 don’t even require a bgp peering with each other, they would just require the following:

R8 would need to have nat enabled and a default route pointing to R6
R6 would just need to advertise R6-R8 subnet 110.x.x.x into ospf , no nat required.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello,

is your project based on a specific required setup ? It does not look like there is continuity in the file you are sending, as even without NAT, there is no end-to-end connectivity. Send the last file that has full end-to-end connectivity...

I am doing a Project for myself and to add in my job application in order to show my knowledge in Cisco routing and switching,

there is no goal except make everything connect to each other while using different protocols 

Hello,

understood. Either way, send the last version you have that has end-to-end connectivity...without the NAT.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card