cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hot standby, static routes and dual homed AS

rgoddard
Level 1
Level 1

7200 series gateway will be dual-homed to 2 different ISPs running BGP. Interior routes are 100% static, with some networks directly connected.

Goal is to add the gateway router's predecessor, also a 7200 series, as a hot standby only. No load sharing, strictly backup gateway to the 2 ISPs.

Examining floating static and/or HSRP as options; however most examples incorporate load sharing between the 2 routers, which we prefer to avoid.

Any suggestions?

3 Replies 3

ggatten
Level 1
Level 1

If I understand your config correctly, I doubt floating static will work. Some type of dynamic protocol would be required or maybe VRRP? I've also used a custom script to manipulate routing tables. There's also a RFC - I forget the number - for redundant default gateways. It's called "EnableDeadGWDetect" in windows.

I'm not an HSRP expert - but I have to believe it will work as you wish. I'm pretty sure both routers actually receive the outbound traffic (they share an IP and MAC), but only the active one processes it - the other ignores it. Check out http://www.routergod.com and view the "Paul Hogan tell us about HSRP". I love this site - funny and informative....

BTW: How are the circuits terminated? Do you have some sort of mux sitting in front of the routers terminating the circuits, with each router connected to the MUX?

Interested to hear your reply.

Gary

Thanks for the input, Gary - far as term...each bgp link is DS3 connecting to a Marconi 1100 which feeds an atm interface on the 7206(s).

Interesting config. Multiple DS3's are always nice.

BTW, is the Marconi redundant too? 8-)

G

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card