cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I prioritize traffic on my 3560 ??

shijomon scaria
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

My HO is connected to BOs over MPLS Links.

The links are terminated on routers but i dont have access on those routers as it is maintained by the ISP.

Behind of the HO router there is s 3560 switch. Can i configure this switch to prioritize some traffic over the WAN link to the BOs.

Regards,

Shijo

4 Replies 4

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Shijomon,

Yes you can prioritize the traffice going outside the switch to the router so that the QOS will get in place on your 3560 device and apply the policy on the outgoing interface of 3560 which is connecting to router.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Dear Inayath,

Thanks for the reply.

Please tell me what will happen to the packet which i prioritized reaches in the rotuer and trasmitting it over the WAN link.

The prioritization will remain end-to-end or it will be there only between the switch and HO router ??

Regards,

Shijo.

Hi Shijo,

When the packet reaches the router, the packet gets prioritized based on the parameters configured on that router.
As you dont have access to the device you cant do much on the same.

REquest the SP to have them prioritized the respective traffic which you want to be prioritize among other and they should help you in regards the same.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Over MPLS links, eh?  Is there many-to-many site traffic?  If so, you'll want to work with your provider on a QoS scheme.  Normally you mark traffic with different ToS settings, and provider treats traffic by its ToS markings.

If you only have one logical link, you can "shape" on your 3560 for the available WAN bandwidth before you pass the traffic to the managed ISP routers.  (If there congestion because of shaping, you also prioritize your traffic as desired.)

If you have hub and spoke, you'll need something better than a 3560.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: