cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How does a Dynamic Crypto Map Work?

shenmue232
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering how a dynamic crypto map works? in a normal crypto map you define the interesting traffic you want to allow over the VPN, and do the same in reverse on the other side.

How does a dynamic crypto map work out what the interesting traffic is?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes in a normal crypto map each peer specifically identifies the remote peer and each peer specifies what is interesting traffic (and both definitions need to match). In the normal crypto map we will begin authentication processing only for requests that come from the configured peer address. We typically use a dynamic map when one peer is not able to specifically identify the other peer (most often because the other peer has a dynamic IP address). With the dynamic crypto map we will begin authentication processing for any request that we receive. And if authentication is successful then the remote peer sends their definition of interesting traffic and we adopt that definition of interesting traffic.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes in a normal crypto map each peer specifically identifies the remote peer and each peer specifies what is interesting traffic (and both definitions need to match). In the normal crypto map we will begin authentication processing only for requests that come from the configured peer address. We typically use a dynamic map when one peer is not able to specifically identify the other peer (most often because the other peer has a dynamic IP address). With the dynamic crypto map we will begin authentication processing for any request that we receive. And if authentication is successful then the remote peer sends their definition of interesting traffic and we adopt that definition of interesting traffic.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the explanation Richard, this has helped me getting a better understanding of how they work.

I am glad that my explanation was helpful and that you now have a better understanding. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other readers in the forum to identify discussions which have helpful information. These forums are excellent places to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card