Views
Helpful
Replies

How generate huge traffic to reach the CIR

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Netpro

what command allow me to generate huge traffic on an interface , i have scenario such , i have 200 Mbps link from ISP and my utilization reach up to 100 Mbps , i m looking for a method to send huge traffic on the link to see if i can reach the 200Mbps

thanks

Ibrahim

21 Replies 21

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

just use a ping with a high payload size and no timeout and high repeat count:

something like this : ping x.x.x.x size xxx timeout 0 rep 100000

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi Alain

what is maximum payload can can i size? why the timeout = 0

thanks

ibrahim

If you have the ability to inject a BERT (Bit error rate test) into the network stream at both ends of the stream you can use the BERT to generate enough data to accomplish your test.

Hi turnera

the 2nd end is the ISP PE , so i can't do ur methode , but with other scenario i can , would you please post me guide line config to do this test . i m very intersting

thanks

ibrahim

JDSU has a number of different test devices ( I am not a dealer in these items, I have used them in the past. ) that you can inject into a network at various entry points that can allow you to perform link characterization, data throughput testing, and the like. Attached is a data sheet on one cool toy that could help the network engineer/technician in their troublshooting efforts. There are many more out there to choose from.

thanks turnera

Hi,

ping 2.2.2.2 size ?

<36-18024>  Datagram size  this is in Bytes

timeout zero to not wait for response(or not) before sending next ping

Regards.

Alain

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

ping 2.2.2.2 size ?

<36-18024>  Datagram size  this is in Bytes

timeout zero to not wait for response(or not) before sending next ping

Just a caveat on using size, don't forget if you go larger than max MTU you'll create IP fragments, which can skew your using this for rate transfer testing.

Hi Joe

what shall i do?pls help in this matter to overcome the MTU limitations

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

what shall i do?pls help in this matter to overcome the MTU limitations

Don't set size larger than the end-to-end's MTU.

Normally, you should know what the max MTU is, but if you don't, as Shivlu suggested you can set the don't fragment option.  This usually precludes an interface, for which your packet is too big, fragmenting it and forwarding it.  Also usually, the interface should try to inform you it needed to fragment your packet.  Later versions will actually send their interface max MTU in the notification, but I'm unsure there's an easy way for you to "see" the value.  (Note: lack of ping replies may indicate ping request was not forwarded because of don't fragment and packet was too large.)

On later IOS version, believe the don't fragment is a command line option.  On older IOSs, you need to invoke extended ping to use it.

What may be tedious is finding the max MTU.  However, when using extended ping, there should be an option to ping a range of sizes.

Matt Addy
Level 1
Level 1

I use Iperf set to use UDP, that will max your line out. There is also a Java GUI front end for it now.

Hi Addy

can u give details pls

hi

I you can leverage iPERF utility that would be the best among the all. A very small file and all you need to install two laptops/PCs at both end. Configure one as server and another as client. Generate UDP streams from server and client will receive it.

2.Query About MTU:-

If you don't want that your pakets get fragmented then enable df bit while typing your ping command.

regards

shivlu jain

Hi jain

can you post the full ping command with df bit enable

thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card