cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many line cards (ME-X4640-CSFP-E=) are supported in a WS-C4507R+E Chassis?

fayiz husain
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

How many ME-X4640-CSFP-E= (80 Port GE CSFP FTTx, 2BX-D CSFP bundle mandatory) line cards are supported in a WS-C4507R+E Chassis? Can it support 4 such cards at a time? If yes, can we use 275 x compact SFPs (GLC-2BX-D) as downlink and 2 x 10Gig SFPs (SFP-10G-LR-S=) as uplink on it at a time? Do we need any additional module to make it support 10G SFP?

Thanks in advance for the support

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How many ME-X4640-CSFP-E= (80 Port GE CSFP FTTx, 2BX-D CSFP bundle mandatory) line cards are supported in a WS-C4507R+E Chassis?

Depends on your supervisor card but up to five (5).  

If yes, can we use 275 x compact SFPs (GLC-2BX-D) as downlink and 2 x 10Gig SFPs (SFP-10G-LR-S=) as uplink on it at a time?

Yes and no.   The line card has 40 SFP ports, however, the line card can only support up to 24 Gbps line rate (non-blocking).  You can put up to 200 (5 line cards per chassis x 40 ports per line cards) but the total you'll get is only 120 Gbps (5 line cards x 24 Gbps per line card) total output.  

The GLC-2BX-D is supported on the X4640 line card as long as the supervisor card is running the correct IOS version, 15.0(2)SG or later.

Not supported.

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts.  

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the reply. ME-X4640-CSFP-E= is 80port line card. Will it support 320 sfps in total if we insert 4 of it to the 4507 chassis?

only 40 csfp can be installed in one ME-X4640-CSFP-E= 

so, if you have 4 linecards, so 4x40 = 160 csfp

one csfp will give you 2 gig ports.

with ME-X4640-CSFP-E=  you have the restriction - 24Gb/s per slot

so with 40 csfp installed in one ME-X4640-CSFP-E=  you will have oversubscription 1:4

Thankyou for the reply.

what does oversubcription 1:4 mean? Does the 4507 Chassis support 10Gig SFP without any additional module?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco