cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many routes can be recieved and used on ISR 881?

Ruterford
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I am using multiple ISR881s in hub and spoke scenario, all configured as "eigrp stub connected". I am wondering how many EIGRP routes can be received from two HUB neighbours and safely maintained by 881 (256MB of DRAM).

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I would think that 400 routes was well within the capabilities of an 881. And if no problems have been observed that sort of confirms it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not believe that there is any particular number that would be the limit of how many EIGRP routes. The limit would depend on what else you have configured that is using memory on the router in  addition to the EIGRP topology table and the IP routing table.

If you are doing hub and spoke with EIGRP stub connected at the spoke then a good practice is to limit the routes that are advertised from the hub to the spoke. This can easily be done with eigrp summary address commands on the hub or could also be done by implementing distribute lists in EIGRP on the hub. I have done this (both ways) and it works quite well.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks, there is around 400 subnets in the routing table of the spoke.

There is a voip qos and dmvpn configuration on each stub 881 spoke and CPU sits at around 12-18% under the load time.

No problem was ever reported by any users. Wondering if 400 routes is too many for an 881 spoke or it is kind of Ok.

Here is sh ip route summary from one of the spokes:

sh ip route summary

IP routing table name is default (0x0)

IP routing table maximum-paths is 32

Route Source    Networks    Subnets     Replicates  Overhead    Memory (bytes)

connected       0           8           0           480         1440

static          1           1           0           120         360

nhrp            0           0           0           0           0

eigrp 400       0           358         0           44940       64440

internal        8                                               16348

Total           9           367         0           45540       82588

I would think that 400 routes was well within the capabilities of an 881. And if no problems have been observed that sort of confirms it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: