cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how many sub-Interfaces we can create on Cisco router 3845 and /or IRS2911?

m-abooali
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I was wondering if you good folks can tell me how many sub-interfaces we can create on Cisco router 3845 and/or ISR 2911 to support vlans?

I assume there must be a limit!?

Best Regards,

Masood

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
Used to be 300 for all platforms but its moved on , would you be using more than that as subs ?

The maximum number of interfaces (physical, subinterface, or virtual) a router can handle depends on the maximum number of SWIDBs that the router can use. This limit used to be set to 300 for all platforms, but with the emergence of features such as frame-relay subinterfaces, multilink Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP), and virtual private dial-up network (VPDN) that uses virtual interfaces, this value has proven to be insufficient on some platforms.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
Used to be 300 for all platforms but its moved on , would you be using more than that as subs ?

The maximum number of interfaces (physical, subinterface, or virtual) a router can handle depends on the maximum number of SWIDBs that the router can use. This limit used to be set to 300 for all platforms, but with the emergence of features such as frame-relay subinterfaces, multilink Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP), and virtual private dial-up network (VPDN) that uses virtual interfaces, this value has proven to be insufficient on some platforms.

Thank you. surely not more than 300 vlans.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card