Views
Helpful
Replies

How many users can 1941 load?

Ryan Jay Gil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I want to verify if there is any specific number of users that 1941 can load?

Apparently I have 300 plus users in our company.  They all use VoIP applications like Skype and QQ..

Cheers!

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is dependent on your WAN link.

no specific number of user at all?

i have 80 mbps..

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Pretty much no, beyond the amount of traffic users generate that transits the router.  As that's often bottlenecked by the WAN link, that's what you size a router's capacity for.  (NB: BTW, you can use an ISR for LAN routing, but then you more often run into the device's performance limits.)

Cisco (see attachment) recommends a 1941 for up to 25 Mbps of "WAN" (i.e. duplex) bandwidth.

Does this means 1941 is not the right router for me? it cant support 300 users that our company have? 

and what do you mean by this?

(NB: BTW, you can use an ISR for LAN routing, but then you more often run into the device's performance limits.) ..

Cheers!

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The router doesn't really care about number of uses, but it cares about the volume of traffic.  Of course, more users generate more traffic, but it really depends on how much traffic your 300 users would generate.

Again, as the attachment shows, Cisco recommends the 1941 for up to 25 Mbps of "WAN" bandwidth.  If you don't exceed 25 Mbps, it doesn't much matter if you have 3 users, 30 users, 300 user, 3,000 users.

However, even bandwidth capacity isn't hard number, as study of the my prior attachment shows.  Actual router performance depends on the kind of traffic and your configuration.  Cisco's 25 Mbps is a "safe" recommendation, i.e. it's unlikely you'll have performance issues if you stay under that, but higher volume is possible.  With 80 Mbps you might be fine, but you might not too.

Regarding my note about LAN, a 1941 is a router that could also be used for just LAN routing.  But if you're using a LAN with more than 10 Mbps Ethernet, it's easier to then exceed the 25 Mbps bandwidth recommendation.

Thank you so much for that.

My configurations in my 1941 are.

HSRP

PAT(Nat Overload)

IP SLA and object tracking.

I encounter with high cpu ultilization and kill my connection. 

Do i need change my router with higher specification or do some modifications in my router configurations. please advice. im having a hard time solving this..

Cheers!

1900 router can't handle 80 Mbps worth of traffic. 

For 80 Mbps, a 2951 is more than adequate to handle this amount of traffic.  

Hi ,

Our H/O using Cisco 892 router connected with 55 branches (Using Cisco 892 in all branches) in which 4 branches added last 2 month , .We are observing that from last two month 

Our few sites continuously disconnecting from Aggregation router ,During issue we are able to ping Aggregation Physical IP from Branch end router but no response from Tuunel aggregation IP .

While checking Branch router logs Below messages found:

010332: Jul 26 13:31:32.074 UTC: %OSPF-5-ADJCHG: Process 1, Nbr 192.168.X.X on Tunnel1 from FULL to DOWN, Neighbor Down: Dead timer expired .

Can any one confirm that Cisco 892 router capable to support only 50 IPSec tunnels?

When i administratively down 5 stores Ipsec tunnels randomly ,Connectivity issue resolved .

I

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Your mileage may vary.

We cannot really advise you on any specific case unless we have performance data for the actual traffic.  And, even with that, traffic can vary overtime.

All we can say, and have already, a 1941 is probably too small to support 80 Mbps, and also again, number of users doesn't really matter much.

Does this mean, in your particular case, a 1941 isn't the "right" box?  Again, we cannot say for sure, but odds are it's too small.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: