cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how MPLS router know it is penultimate hop and do the PHP

ronald.su
Level 1
Level 1

hey guys, how MPLS router know it is penultimate hop and do the PHP, I mean the label tagging is base on route table, right ? from the route table, the router should know "what is tthe next hop" only, I think the oruter doesn't know the full topology, so why the router will know he is the penultimate hop ??

please correct me ..thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That was a nice question.

It's very simple that every prefix in the MPLS cloud is bind to a label value which is unique to the router. 

For example see the below setup

RouterA ------MPLS--------- Router B-----MPLS------Router C----IPV4---Router D. Loopback 3.3.3.3

10.0.0.1                   10.0.0.2     12.0.0.1           12.0.0.2      13.0.0.1     13.0.0.2

once I enable MPLS on all the router Router D will start assigning a label to the prefixes to which it was the reachability and directly connected its going to assign a value of 3 and will send it to Router C

Now 3.3.3.3 got a value of 3 and will be sent to Router C which will assign another label instead of 3 and will send to Router B similarly Router B will assign and send to Router A. 

For 3.3.3.3

Routers          Label Assigned   Label sent              Label received

D                      3                       3 sent to C                Non

C                    194                    194 sent to B               3

B                     135                   135 sent to A               194

A                                 ------------- Similar pattern---------

The thumb rule for the MPLS router is whenever they receive a label value of 3 for a prefix then it need to open the MPLS packet remove the MPLS label and send it as IPv4 packet

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

rais
Level 7
Level 7

Router behaves PHP when the label received from adjacent router is a value 3 - the Implicit Null Label. 

Label value 3 is a reserved value and never appears in encapsulation because it specifies that the top label should be removed [POPed] and remaining packet should be forwarded to next-hop. 

HTH.

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That was a nice question.

It's very simple that every prefix in the MPLS cloud is bind to a label value which is unique to the router. 

For example see the below setup

RouterA ------MPLS--------- Router B-----MPLS------Router C----IPV4---Router D. Loopback 3.3.3.3

10.0.0.1                   10.0.0.2     12.0.0.1           12.0.0.2      13.0.0.1     13.0.0.2

once I enable MPLS on all the router Router D will start assigning a label to the prefixes to which it was the reachability and directly connected its going to assign a value of 3 and will send it to Router C

Now 3.3.3.3 got a value of 3 and will be sent to Router C which will assign another label instead of 3 and will send to Router B similarly Router B will assign and send to Router A. 

For 3.3.3.3

Routers          Label Assigned   Label sent              Label received

D                      3                       3 sent to C                Non

C                    194                    194 sent to B               3

B                     135                   135 sent to A               194

A                                 ------------- Similar pattern---------

The thumb rule for the MPLS router is whenever they receive a label value of 3 for a prefix then it need to open the MPLS packet remove the MPLS label and send it as IPv4 packet

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card