cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How often have you come up against multicast routing as a engineer

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

I've been dedicating some time to multicast, I would like to know howver how often have you come across doing multicast routing as a network engineer?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @hfakoor222 ,

for my CCIE service providers labs  I build a mix of ASM, SSM , Bidir PIM

I have worked on multicast streams since 2007.

We used Draft Rosen multipoint GRE with MP BGP and mdt address family to add multicast to  L3 VPN MPLS service for Vancouver winter Games.

drawback: scalability at least one Global routing table multicast address G is consumed by each customer VPN,

Then I took part in a project using Next Generation Multicast VPN with Juniper networks for Eutelsat.

It uses MP BGP with a special address family that uses 7 types of messages.

Later working again on Cisco devices NG VPN is supported on selected platforms ASR 1000 or ASR 9000

The main difference in the two implementations are that Juniper uses Point to multipoint RSVP TE signalled single label LSPs, Cisco  uses LDP multipoint to multipoint single label

Currently I moved more to security and private cloud

Other solutions are possible OTV , VPLS,  and finally EVPN

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Really depends on the industry you are in but in my time I have never had to deploy multicast routing anywhere. 

Jon

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

Im really would like some more opinions as well

Thank you

Like @Jon Marshall said the industry determines what features you use most in a network device. As a network engineer I have never had to deploy multicast routing, however it is implemented where I work. I only know this from various show commands. As far as I know our HQ sets it up and it functions correctly. I've never had to troubleshoot it either.

-David

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

Thanks, any more advice?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In my experience, which is dated, almost never in small to mid sized networks (beyond using multicast within the same subnet for something like PC imaging, i.e. multicast routing not needed) yet often in large to huge sized networks.

The latter, generally, for the support of video of some form or another, especially, for example, like video of some company/enterprise wide, real-time, presentation from the CEO.

It comes up in Voice/Collab deployments. Frequently the scope of the multicast is limited to a single campus, but it is not uncommon to have to enterprise wide for support of either music on hold, audio paging over VoIP handsets, or VoIP speakers.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @hfakoor222 ,

for my CCIE service providers labs  I build a mix of ASM, SSM , Bidir PIM

I have worked on multicast streams since 2007.

We used Draft Rosen multipoint GRE with MP BGP and mdt address family to add multicast to  L3 VPN MPLS service for Vancouver winter Games.

drawback: scalability at least one Global routing table multicast address G is consumed by each customer VPN,

Then I took part in a project using Next Generation Multicast VPN with Juniper networks for Eutelsat.

It uses MP BGP with a special address family that uses 7 types of messages.

Later working again on Cisco devices NG VPN is supported on selected platforms ASR 1000 or ASR 9000

The main difference in the two implementations are that Juniper uses Point to multipoint RSVP TE signalled single label LSPs, Cisco  uses LDP multipoint to multipoint single label

Currently I moved more to security and private cloud

Other solutions are possible OTV , VPLS,  and finally EVPN

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card