Views
Helpful
Replies

How to advertise 2 /25 as /24 to upstream provider through bgp

B@B@r
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I want to advertise 2/25 to our upstream providers Both have different ASN. I How can i set BGP attributes so that I can advertise 0/25 for one ISP and 128/25 for other ISP. Please note that our ISP advertise /24 rather than/25 to their upstreams.

thanks 

3 Replies 3

linuxhacker
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am going to take a stab at this. Your graphic seems to indicate you want to advertise the low /25 of a block to one provider ('A'), while the high /25 to another ('B'). It also then indicates you want each provider to advertise a /24 to the internet. The internet will send traffic for any address within your /24, to either A or B provider. What should provider 'A' do if it receives traffic that belongs to the high /25? You aren't advertising a route to it, so it would be dropped. You would have to get provider 'A' and 'B' to exchange your /25 routes internally so that if traffic is received for, say, your high /25 block, by provider 'A', that it would be forwarded to provider 'B', who would then forward it down your other connection. Getting two different providers to do this for you is going to be difficult and I do not believe is generally done. BGP is really all about you, the end user, making your own routing policy decisions that are advertised to the whole of the rest of the net, and is not designed for this use case here. If what you really are trying to accomplish is load balancing / link redundancy, you may be better off using a wan load balancing solution such as from mushroom networks (I am not affiliated).

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most providers won't accept anything less than a /24 unless you have already talked to them but even if they did your routing would not work (see previous response for why). 

Jon

Right - the minimum accepted prefix in bgp is generally /24. Even if you can convince your two direct upstreams to accept /25's, their upstream providers certainly won't accept less than a /24. This constraint has to do with routing table size and generally accepted best practices that aim to limit the size of the routing tables in order to not blow up routers that simply don't have enough memory (TCAM, in particular). This has been an increasing concern over the last few years especially since older gear is still out there running away and has these limits that they are now pushing or exceeding, and dying/breaking in...interesting...ways (*interesting = only if you like sticking forks in your eyes).  So, bottom line on this - you can't really route less than /24s to the Internet, don't even try.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card