Views
Helpful
Replies

How to create shared folder?

Eli Levi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to create a shared folder between PCA and PCB, each pc is on a different network but they can ping and both pcs running win10.

can someone help please?

sharefolder.PNG

8 Replies 8

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This link shows you how to share a windows folder

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-share-a-folder-over-your-network-5808814

Thank you, but this guide shows how to share files in the local network.

I need to share files between two different networks.

Hello

as long as the two pcs can communicate with each other then they should be able to share any folder - I am assuming the router isn’t negsting any ports if so I would suggest you visit the Microsoft webs sites on sharing and synchronising folders 

On a side note how are you trying to commnect to each share? - ip or fqdn 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

when I connect both pcs to my Catalyst 2960 switch, PCB automatically appears under the network tab in PCA and vice versa

as you can see in the attached photo.

I can double click on PCB and drag and drop files between the two desktops directly.

when I connect both pcs to my Cisco 2800 router and assign IP addresses according to the topology above, I can ping between the pcs but can’t share files!

How can I share files between two pcs on different networks as if they were connected to the same switch?

share2.PNG

Thank you, but this guide shows how to share files in the local network.

I need to share files between two different networks.

This is completely related to Windows OS configuration (application level) and not the Router.
Windows broadcasts the folder availability within the broadcast domain (vlan, subnet, network segment, etc). Routers do not forward broadcast packets between different network segments. This is how Routers operate.
I am no Windows OS expert but you may try to map your drive manually by IP since auto-discovery won't work.
See https://bit.ly/2YYefZL
HTH.

Hi @Eli Levi ,

Only to discard, disable the firewalls of both PCs and try.

https://www.npcglib.org/~stathis/blog/2013/02/18/windows-task-sharing-files-across-different-subnets/

Regards

Alan Ng'ethe
Level 3
Level 3

-----

If my understanding of your problem is correct, the reason you are able to ping between the two, but are not able to browse network shares is because you are now relying on netbios name resolution, which typically broadcasts will not be forwarded by the router. You may want to try the methods below to try resolve the problem.

1. Enter the PC names in the lmhosts files of both PCs i.e. If you want bidirectional file sharing. Otherwise, enter the name of the PC that will be hosting the file share in the lmhosts file of the PC that will act as the client. The lmhosts file is found in the following location "%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\

2. Using an account that has Administrative privileges, right-click on the lmhosts.sam file and open it with Notepad.

3. Make the changes as shown in the attached image. Do it after the highlighted section.

lmhosts entries.PNG

4. Save the file as lmhosts, without the .sam extension. This will create two files in the directory; lmhosts.sam and lmhosts.

lmhosts2.PNG

5. Open cmd.exe using an account that has Administrative privileges and run the command nbtstat -R

Provided that the shares are created with the right permissions, and file and printer sharing is on you should be able to see the file shares now.

Some additional information:

On both PCs you want to check whether querying of lmhosts is enabled. You can check this in the properties of your 'LAN' network adapters on both hosts. See capture below;

ipsettings.PNG

Remember to rate helpful posts and/or mark as a solution if your issue is resolved.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card