cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Install Booster Performance License for 4320 Series

Erich Schommarz
Level 1
Level 1

We have purchased for one of our customers the Booster Performance License: FL-4320-BOOST-K9=.

Now I'm having issues with the installation of the license. I'm unable to install the license in the traditionell way. Anybody have any experience with installation of the BOOST License?

According to configuration guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/4400/software/configuration/guide/isr4400swcfg/bm_isr_4400_sw_config_guide_chapter_0101.html#concept_jzt_wlq_ybb

Cisco Smart License is required / described to install the license.

But I was not successfull with CSL, since TAC was not able to convert my license to CSL until now. Further I'm not sure if a certain IOS release is required to support the Boost License. All release notes I have checked I couldn't find anything about system requirements.

Enclosed how I tried to install the license in traditionell way:

rt01#license install flash:FDO21041AW3_201803230437045230.lic
Installing licenses from "flash:FDO21041AW3_201803230437045230.lic"
Installing...Feature:hseck9...Successful:Supported
Installing...Feature:booster_performance...Successful:Not Supported
2/2 licenses were successfully installed
0/2 licenses were existing licenses
0/2 licenses were failed to install

rt01#show license
Index 1 Feature: appxk9
Period left: Life time
License Type: Permanent
License State: Active, Not in Use
License Count: Non-Counted
License Priority: Medium
Index 2 Feature: uck9
Period left: Not Activated
Period Used: 0 minute 0 second
License Type: EvalRightToUse
License State: Active, Not in Use, EULA not accepted
License Priority: None
Index 3 Feature: securityk9
Index 4 Feature: ipbasek9
Index 5 Feature: FoundationSuiteK9
Index 6 Feature: AdvUCSuiteK9
Index 7 Feature: cme-srst
License Count: 0/0 (In-use/Violation)
Index 8 Feature: hseck9
License State: Active, In Use
Index 9 Feature: throughput
Index 10 Feature: internal_service
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Erich Schommarz
Level 1
Level 1

In the meantime I have found a solution together with TAC Engineer. Further a Bug will be created to improve the public documentation. No mention in the release notes for this issue at the moment.

• Minimum Required IOS Version: Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.07.01

Activiation & Verification

• ROUTER1#show run | in boost
    platform hardware throughput level boost
  • ROUTER1#show license | beg boos 

Index 11 Feature: booster_performance

View solution in original post

You don't need to register with smart license to install boost license.   TAC already raised a bug to correct the documentation.   You can install boost license with CSL license.  You need to follow the normal installation procedure include reboot at the end.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Erich Schommarz
Level 1
Level 1

In the meantime I have found a solution together with TAC Engineer. Further a Bug will be created to improve the public documentation. No mention in the release notes for this issue at the moment.

• Minimum Required IOS Version: Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.07.01

Activiation & Verification

• ROUTER1#show run | in boost
    platform hardware throughput level boost
  • ROUTER1#show license | beg boos 

Index 11 Feature: booster_performance

mwhisen
Level 5
Level 5

The most likely issue is that you were not running the correct IOS release. In order to use BOOST you must first be on Fuji release. Either 16.7.1 or 16.8.1. Be sure to read release noted and if you are running 3.6.x code to pay attention to both the ROMMON version and the issue on the RSA keys! Now for CSL, you have to have a smart licensing account, and there is not much easy with Smart Licensing. Have spent nearly a year with Cisco to get CSL working decent, finally by installing a remote server in our network that is an intermediary device.

You don't need to register with smart license to install boost license.   TAC already raised a bug to correct the documentation.   You can install boost license with CSL license.  You need to follow the normal installation procedure include reboot at the end.

g.fabre
Level 1
Level 1

Had the same question with version 17.3.3... I was able to download & copy the .lic file, however the licence install command does not exist anymore 

(I triy to add booster license on my router)

I guess this is linked with Smart Licence and oniy needs "platform hardware throughput level boost" as described here

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/4400/software/configuration/guide/isr4400swcfg/bm_isr_4400_sw_config_guide_chapter_0101.html#concept_bvv_zyx_ndb

Not sure how the license is enforced, I have to reload the router and check if show platform hardware throughput level is OK

Hello,

indeed, if the license is registered in the smart portal, you need to just reboot the device and use the command 'platform hardware throughput level boost'. 

That is pretty much it. What are you running into exactly ?

kbystrak1
Level 1
Level 1

I thought I might leave this note to help out other people stuck trying to apply a BOOST license using CSL including future me.

I have now successfully installed 4 boost licenses on two different 4300 series models using this method (4321 and a 4331) running IOS XE 16.12.4.  I am going to guess you are having the same issue I was having where the router would not accept the "platform hardware throughput level boost" command in config mode despite the fact that CSL is correctly working and you have an available BOOST license showing up in the CSL Portal.  I found this is due to the order in which things happened.  If you register your router to the CSL portal BEFORE you purchase the BOOST license you will not be able to apply it.   You must follow these steps to get the BOOST license applied:

1. De-Register the router from the CSL portal using the "License smart deregister" command.

2. Write the config and reboot the router.

3. Wait until the Event Log on the CSL portal shows the product instance was removed from Smart Software Manager.

4. Re-Register the router to the CSL portal using the "license smart register idtoken <your token> force" command.

5. Wait for the Event Log on the CSL portal to show the product instance was added to the Smart Software Manager.

6. In config mode, issue the "platform hardware throughput level boost" command.  This time the command should apply correctly.

7. Write the Config.

8. Reboot.

The problem is the router will never accept the "platform hardware throughput level boost" command if there was not an available BOOST license in CSL at the time it is FIRST registered to the CSL.   To avoid this issue, purchase and add the BOOST license to the CSL BEFORE you register the router to the CSL.    I am not sure if maybe this problem is corrected in a later IOS XE version.  Hopefully Cisco has or will fix this.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card