cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to route internet through a second interface

mis
Level 1
Level 1

Currently all traffic is sent through the mpls network back to corporate for internet.  Added a cable modem for internet to the second interface and trying to send all internet traffic through this interface. I tried changing the gateway to point to this interface but no go.  Any help appreciated.

3 Replies 3

mis
Level 1
Level 1

Currently my users gateway goes to a 3750 core switch, which then routes to a 2900 series where the 2nd interface resides. 

The gateway of last resort on the 2900 is currently:

0.0.0.0/0 [20/0] via 192.1.4.1 which is the mpls circuit.

Should i not change this to the gateway of the 2nd internet circuit?

Hi,

If this is the only route that you have from BGP, then NO. If you will add the static route to the new internet connection, you'll probably loose the connection with the MPLS.

If you have more specific routes recevied - all the prefixes needit for the flow to the corporate network - then you can do it.

Dan

Hi,

We have something very similar: at each branch we a 2800, a 3750 and an ISP's modem. Router connects to ISP's modem and 3750 on both interfaces. 3750 has a link back to core via MPLS. Normally Internet traffic will go out through the modem by a static route on the router. If the ISP fails, Internet traffic get then re-routed to the core by OSPF via MPLS.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card