Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Use Layer 2 Switch Ports on Cisco 1841 Router

Atif Masood
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am using Cisco 1841 Router with only one Layer 3 Fe0 port and 8 Switch Ports. 

I have given IP on Fe0 port which is connected to another router. 

Now I don't know how to use the Switch Layer 2 ports of the router.

I have tried making one of the port as Access Port by switchport mode access and connected my laptop and given IP of the same subnet but I am unable to ping my Fe0 port IP and vice versa as I am also unable to ping my Laptop from Router.

Can anyone explain me how to use these Layer 2 ports?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ben Samayoa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Muhammadatifmasood, have a look at the link below, I am sure you will find it helpful.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10919631/how-enable-routing-between-hwic-4esw-and-onboard-fe-cisco-1841-router

BenSamayoa

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ben Samayoa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Muhammadatifmasood, have a look at the link below, I am sure you will find it helpful.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10919631/how-enable-routing-between-hwic-4esw-and-onboard-fe-cisco-1841-router

BenSamayoa

hi,

Switch ports of the router is by default assigned to VLAN 1, If you want to connect you laptop to that switch port You have to configure as below.

example IP only

conf t

int vlan 1

ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

no shut    >>>> just to be sure but by default this is up as long as the interface is set.

You can then now assign an IP add of 192.168.1.x netmask of 255.255.255.0 to your laptop and connect it to any of the switchports. 

bradleyordner
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, 

The Layer 2 ports need to be assigned to a VLAN. By default it is VLAN 1. You need to assign an IP address to VLAN 1 for your hosts to use as a default gateway to reach the Fe0 port. Because the Layer 2 ports are in a different Broadcast domain you can't use the same subnet range as Fe0. 

When packet arrives on VLAN 1 it will be routed to your Layer 3 Port via the routing table. 

Atif Masood
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks buddy :) Well I already fixed my issue. And the link you shared is exactly the right way to do it. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card