Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP between Routers for WAN redundancy question

Fabio Francisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

Is there a way to set up HSRP between routers without having to put a L2 switch between them?

As far as my understanding goes it's possible however if there's a hardware failure or interface problem with one of the routers it end up bringing the virtual interface down as well.

My point is: Can I trick the interface to be always up eventhough it lost connectivity to the other router? I believe if I am able to acomplish that I will not need the switch between the routers anymore

Thanks in advance.

Fabio

3 Replies 3

Jigar Dave
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Fabio,

Yes its possible, please look at  - http://www.itsyourip.com/cisco/how-to-configure-hsrp-in-cisco-ios-routers/

Thanks,

Jigar

Hi Jigar,

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I know how to set HSRP no problems with that.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. My question is

How can I set HSRP up without the need of a Layer 2 but also looking at not loosing connectivity to the Virtual IP address in case one of the routers goes down?

I hope I made sense now....

FYI my temporary solution is: I created a L2 VLAN called HSRP on a L2 Switch ( it does not route) and set two interfaces on access mode to HSRP VLANthat way losing a router or an interface will not bring my virtual IP address down.

Please see picture.

Any help would be extremely appreciated....

Cheers,

Fabio

askabazz
Level 1
Level 1

My answer is no it cannot be done. You could possibly use a cross-over cable to connect the two routers back to back but then the HSRP ip address would be isolated to that cross-over link and that would not do you much good.

If you don't have a L2 switch in between then It is doubtful that HSRP would help your failover. Think of HSRP as providing a floating default gateway but if that layer 2 link has been isolated then why do you need HSRP?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card