Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP between Routers for WAN redundancy question

Fabio Francisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

Is there a way to set up HSRP between routers without having to put a L2 switch between them?

As far as my understanding goes it's possible however if there's a hardware failure or interface problem with one of the routers it end up bringing the virtual interface down as well.

My point is: Can I trick the interface to be always up eventhough it lost connectivity to the other router? I believe if I am able to acomplish that I will not need the switch between the routers anymore

Thanks in advance.

Fabio

3 Replies 3

Jigar Dave
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Fabio,

Yes its possible, please look at  - http://www.itsyourip.com/cisco/how-to-configure-hsrp-in-cisco-ios-routers/

Thanks,

Jigar

Hi Jigar,

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I know how to set HSRP no problems with that.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. My question is

How can I set HSRP up without the need of a Layer 2 but also looking at not loosing connectivity to the Virtual IP address in case one of the routers goes down?

I hope I made sense now....

FYI my temporary solution is: I created a L2 VLAN called HSRP on a L2 Switch ( it does not route) and set two interfaces on access mode to HSRP VLANthat way losing a router or an interface will not bring my virtual IP address down.

Please see picture.

Any help would be extremely appreciated....

Cheers,

Fabio

askabazz
Level 1
Level 1

My answer is no it cannot be done. You could possibly use a cross-over cable to connect the two routers back to back but then the HSRP ip address would be isolated to that cross-over link and that would not do you much good.

If you don't have a L2 switch in between then It is doubtful that HSRP would help your failover. Think of HSRP as providing a floating default gateway but if that layer 2 link has been isolated then why do you need HSRP?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card