cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP catalyst 3750 question? Fairly simple. Exhausted ip address.

aannuupp1
Level 1
Level 1

Have one catalyst,3750. Want to add another 3750 in HSRP configuration.

The ip address we need to use is /28. All ip address, all 14 are already used.

How can i implement HSRP?Routing, Other Routing

Use new address just for HSRP?

EIGRP?

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I am afraid I will have to disappoint you.

Every HSRP speaker needs its own unique address in the subnet, plus one shared IP address that is used by all HSRP speakers as the virtual IP address of the standby group.

However, if all 14 IP addresses in your /28 subnet are exhausted already, you cannot add another HSRP speaker to the subnet because there is no unique address available for it even if it shares the IP address of the HSRP group, because it still needs its own unique IP in addition.

The same goes for EIGRP.

Without getting at least one more free IP address in the subnet (which means either readdressing or moving some hosts out to another networks), I am afraid there's no way you can have a first hop redundancy protocol there. HSRP requires N+1 unique IP addresses where N is the number of routers (every router has its own IP address, and the entire HSRP group has another IP address). VRRP requires N unique addresses because in VRRP, the virtual IP address can match the address of one of the routers. But you still need to have the unique address for the added 3750.

Best regards,
Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card