cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Change

himanshudwivedi
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up a HSRP Concept with 1 Active and Other as Standby with both the router having Physical IP and 1 Logical IP.

I would like to ask that, if Network Admin from remote end log in to Router with Logical IP address and Make some changes, in Which router change will take place.

If Answer is The Router which is Master..

Then In case of master goes down will the configuration reflect on Standby Routers.

If it will reflect then I have got the answer and if case configuration will not reflect in Standby router, then how to get the same thing reflect from Active to Standby as soon as some changes done on master.

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Then In case of master goes down will the configuration reflect on Standby Routers."

No, not using FHRP like HSRP.

Normally you would need to log on to the standby address (using its real interface IP, or manually flip the active gateway) and manually change the configuration there too.

Only (?) stacked switches, VSS switches, and (somewhat) vPC (I recall?), automatically replicate configuration between physical devices.

To address your problem, though, something like an EEM script on the "master" could possibly push changes to a "standby".

I agree with @Joseph W. Doherty that a config change made on one HSRP device will not be automatically shared with the peer device. There are some environments such as ASA in HA active/standby where a config change correctly made on one peer is shared to the other peer. But that does not work for HSRP peers. 

HTH

Rick

Hello
The configuration wouldn’t be the same automatically by default but very often it is mostly the same(apart from the fhrp interface ip) by manual configuration so when failover occurs the virtual ip then resides on the secondary peer and all other interfaces - access-lists,routes etc would have parity with the failed primary fhrp peer.

Maybe static/dynamic routing could have the same or different peers/next-hop but I guess its dependant on your topology 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @himanshudwivedi ,

as noted by other colleagues HSRP just provides a redundant virtual default gateway for end user devices.

Configuration replication between involved routers is out of scope even for aspects related to HSRP itself like priority or tracking.

There are and there have been features that using HSRP as component built Stateful NAT or Stateful IPSec but even in that case configuration replication was out of scope, and the communication channel between the two devices was used for tracking state of NAT translations or of IPSec and ISAKMP SAs.

Configuration replication can be found on firewalls using Failover strategy.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: