Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP design question

Scott Brien
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have recently undertaken a project for which i am to re-design our border network for our customers and infrastructure.

The design which i have in mind is as follows:

1) Customer WAN comes in on layer 2 on our customer agg switch and terminates in their own VFW where they can access the infrastructure required

2) a /30 public address space is assigned with 1 address on the outside IF of the VFW and the other on our border router which is connected via a trunk to our core switches.

My issue here is how we are to configure redundancy between our 2 border routers which are geographically seperated over a L2 WAN.

The border routers are multihomed HSRP would need to be active standby not load sharing.

Any assistance/thoughts would be appreciated on this one.

Thanks,
Scott

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Scott,

Thanks for that.  pretty kool pic

Now, with /30 its hard to get the HSRP get going. If you have a /29 subnet, that would help. I know that would be a big ask especially when dealing with public ip adresses . But hey you can probably convince the business by saying you can have another firewall and run both the firewalls in a failover pair or something to somehow put the /29 to use.

In my honest opinion I dont think we can achieve HSRP in your current environment with /30's. I can only recommend BGP between these 2 if you can afford another /30 instead of a /29

HTH,

Regards,

Kishore

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi scott,

Do u have a diagram that you can put in here so we can get a better picture?

Regard,

Kishore

i have attached a cut down version of my diagram, should help paint a picture.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for that.  pretty kool pic

Now, with /30 its hard to get the HSRP get going. If you have a /29 subnet, that would help. I know that would be a big ask especially when dealing with public ip adresses . But hey you can probably convince the business by saying you can have another firewall and run both the firewalls in a failover pair or something to somehow put the /29 to use.

In my honest opinion I dont think we can achieve HSRP in your current environment with /30's. I can only recommend BGP between these 2 if you can afford another /30 instead of a /29

HTH,

Regards,

Kishore

Hi Kishore,

Thanks for that!

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, I am working on allowing the /29 vs dynamic routing, I like that idea of fw, we have a 2nd FWM waiting to be licensed.

Thanks for your help on this one.

Appreciated.

Scott

No worries. glad to be of help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card