cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP FAIL TO redundancy while SVI shutdown...

suhas_syndrome
Level 1
Level 1

HI i have two core configured with HSRP. for vlan redundancy.

i have test all failover scenarios but one senario fail whan i shutdown SVI on active core apropriat vlan traffice stuck it dosent pass to internet router.

as per my understanding vlan svi shutdown in My Active core. standby core same vlan svi should be frward traffice to appropriate destination.

please help me what should i do in this sectitutation.

please find the digram.

hsrp.png 

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Suhas,

I have a feeling that the real problem here is that after you deactivate the SVI on your Active core, the ISP router does not know about this and continues to forward packets back to the former Active core which is unable to deliver the packets.

In any case, please verify the following:

1. When both Active and Standby core have the corresponding SVI active, the show standby brief should indeed confirm that the Active core is in the HSRP Active role while the Standby core is HSRP Standby.
  2. After you deactivate the SVI on the Active core, the show standby brief on the Standby core should confirm it has assumed the HSRP Active role, and that there is no Standby router elected at all. Also verify that when you deactivate the SVI on the Active core, the ISP router moves over to the Standby core to return packets to VLAN 23.

Best regards,

Peter

HI Peter,

Thanks for the reply....

i have check your second point that after deactive the SVI on the active core& show standby brief on the standby core it shows active for apropriate vlan-23 & standby is unknown cause on active core vlan-23 is shutdown.

But the ISP router does not moves over to the Standby core to return packets to VLAN 23. we are using checkpoint firewall as internet gateway.

Suhas B.

Hi Peter,

My network also facing the same problem.

My core gateway is checkpoint...

After Shuting down the SVI in Active core...same VLAN become active in standby.But internet and external network is not working...

Hello Suhas,

Do you run a routing protocol to your ISP? The ISP can not know you have shutdown the interface Vlan23 if there is no dynamic exchange between the core and the ISP.

How is the routing accomplished between your core routers and the ISP?

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card