cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP inbound and out bound bandwidth traffic

spivy6666
Level 1
Level 1

I have a concern on the traffic flow on my hsrp setup..  I have two cisco 2900 doing hsrp and seems to be working but and all outbound traffic is going to the active vip ,but all incoming traffic is coming back through the standby router.?Both these routers have 100mbps separate service to my ISP. From my mrtg app it shows my total bandwidth THOUGHT MY FIREWALL is over 100bmps at times. Why is traffic comming back on the standby router and if i shutdown my standby will i exceed the bandwidth service i have with my ISP? I thought HSRP is strictly for Hardware HA reasons?

Thank You

CCNA
32 Replies 32

I wrote a long explanation without really reading your last paragraph..

The path traffic takes is determined by the routing table and so you are basically modifying the routing tables on the ISP routers.

Or to put it another way you are expressing a preference to the ISP as to which path you want inbound traffic to take by modifying the route advertisements you make.

If you want have another quick chat with the ISP.

I can always supply config for the other option but I just wanted to match what the ISP was expecting.

Jon

OK cool, that make sense, thanks for the clear explanation.

CCNA

Just a quick follow up to answer your question.

MED can only be used to influence traffic path from the AS you connect to. Any AS beyond that does not see the MED value you assigned to the route.

Path prepending goes beyond the AS you connect to so it is often used to influence the path traffic takes from the internet as a whole ie. not just your ISP.

It's useful if you have links to different ISPs and you want one ISP favoured over another for example.

In your situation you only need to affect the ISP AS you peer with so either could have been used but as your ISP expressed a preference i thought it best to go with that.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card