cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP on WAN & LAN Interfaces to ASA HA Pair?

v0r73x117
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

Hoping for some advice on a network topology we are looking to deploy, I've attached a quick image of the layout and wanted to confirm it's possible?

We're now being offered some redundancy from our ISP where they will provide a HSRP setup with two drops, what we'd like to do is have our edge 3560's running HSRP on both their ISP and Internal facing ports. These would then connect back to two ASA's running in an Active/Standby pair. These switches are purely to help carve up and route our /24 assigned IP range, to be fair most if not all runs through our ASA's but sometimes we have a need to connect a standalone firewall or router straight to the 3560's so it comes in handy.

Any issues with this topology or any 'gotchas'? Config wise for the 3560's we were looking at the below as basics -

Primary SW

interface Vlan501
 ip address 1.1.1.6 255.255.255.248
 standby 1 ip 1.1.1.4
 standby 1 preempt delay minimum 30
 standby 1 authentication blah
 standby 1 priority 150
 standby 1 track ethernet0/0 65
!
interface Vlan502
 ip address 1.1.1.10 255.255.255.248
 standby 2 ip 1.1.1.9
 standby 2 preempt delay minimum 30
 standby 2 authentication blah
​ standby 2 priority 150
 standby 2 track ethernet0/1 65

Secondary SW

interface Vlan501
 ip address 1.1.1.5255.255.255.248
 standby 1 ip 1.1.1.4
 standby 1 authentication blah
 standby 1 track ethernet0/0 10
!
interface Vlan502
 ip address 1.1.1.11 255.255.255.248
 standby 2 ip 1.1.1.9
 standby 2 authentication blah
 standby 2 track ethernet0/1 10

Both switches would then have the E0/0-1 interfaces as access switch ports tagged on the appropriate vlan (501 or 502 as examples). They would both also have an appropriate trunk port configured between them.

Am I missing anything? It feels like I am but that's probably a few late nights and lots of coffee :)

Any input appreciated.

TIA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If the 3560's were close enough together ie. no new cable runs needed and you had spare ports then you could always use an etherchannel if it did become a bottleneck.

If you did do that make sure you load balance on src/dst IP address and not mac address because the mac addresses would always be the same ie. firewall to switch HSRP VIP mac address.

That aside good luck with the test and if you have any issues just post into this thread.

Jon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That looks okay to me.

Couple of questions -

1) are you doing all your NAT on your firewalls ?

If so then I assume the ISP will route the 1.1.1.8/29 subnet to your HSRP VIP on vlan 501 ?

2) your firewalls are showing a connection to each switch. Is this using redundant interfaces because obviously the interfaces need to be in the same vlan and your switches don't support MEC.

Obviously if interface from the active firewall to it's switch went down and assuming they are redundant interfaces it would then use it's link to the other switch.

But the ISP active router is still up so traffic has to go across the interconnect between the 3560s to get to the ISP router.

And the same in reverse.

Just wanted to make sure you understood the possible traffic flows.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the response! To answer the queries -

1) Yes, the ASA's will perform all our NAT requirements. I'm triple checking with our ISP on their routing so thanks for highlighting.

2) ASA wise we have a bunch of sub interfaces for VLANs so were intending to do something like the below (not sure if HA is posible with the redundant links as per a quick config example?). That was one of my concerns about traffic going across the interconnect as it would choke to 100Mb instead of the 1Gb uplinks being used everywhere else, but does confirm my understanding of how the traffic would flow if an ISP router fails so thankyou.

ASA1 Example-
interface redundant 1
 member-interface e0
 member-interface e1
 nameif outside
 security-level 0
 ip address 1.1.1.12 255.255.255.248 standby 1.1.1.13

interface redundant 2
 member-interface e2
 member-interface e3
 nameif inside
 security-level 100
 ip address 10.2.2.1 255.255.255.252 standby 10.2.2.2
!
interface redundant 2.x
 nameif vlanx
 vlan x
 security-level 100
 ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
!
​interface redundant 2.y
 nameif vlany
 vlan y
 security-level 100
 ip address y.y.y.y y.y.y.y
!
failover lan unit primary
failover lan interface FAILOVER Management0/0
failover key blah
failover link FAILOVER Management0/0
failover interface ip FAILOVER 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.252 standby 10.1.1.2
monitor-interface outside
monitor-interface inside

If everything still looks ok I guess my last query would be how does failover initiate with the redundancy? Does it flip if one interface in the pair goes down or it waits till both?

Thanks again.

That was one of my concerns about traffic going across the interconnect as it would choke to 100Mb instead of the 1Gb uplinks being used everywhere else, but does confirm my understanding of how the traffic would flow if an ISP router fails so thankyou.

Just to clarify, I meant the interconnect between the switches and not between the firewalls in case that was what you were talking about.

As far as failover goes I have never used the redundant interface feature as I never needed to so I'm not sure but I remember the configuration guides do mention it, I have just forgotten it :-)

I wouldn't have thought it failed over if one of the redundant pair failed though as then I can't see the point of using redundant interfaces if you see what I mean.

Where I think redundant interfaces are really useful is for example you have one firewall connected to a switch. That would give you protection from an interface failure.

The way I did it with a failover pair was to simply connect the active firewall to one switch and the standby firewall to the other.

You still get failover if either an interface on the firewall or the whole firewall fails but looking at your diagram in certain circumstances that could mean the traffic from the standby firewall has to go across the switch interconnect to get to the HSRP active switch whereas with your setup using redundant links it could go direct.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use them, just that I can't see a huge advantage assuming that the switch interconnect is the same speed as all the other connections.

I'll have a bit more of a think about it and go through some failure scenarios but I think it would work either way.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks again for the insights, linking the firewalls direct to each switch probably does make more sense / simplifies the setup I may have just been over zealous on resilience options :)

The interconnect between our two 3560's is the 100Mb choke point, initially I don't see this as an immediate problem as we only have a 100Mb pipe on a 1Gb bearer. With the 2/4 hour SLAs on the equipment it's a minor choke area as we also don't have any particular SLAs we're bound to for service provided (from a guaranteed bandwidth perspective).

Hoping to get it configured in a test environment to confirm before the weekend. At least a little more confident now that I wasn't going mad!

Thanks.

If the 3560's were close enough together ie. no new cable runs needed and you had spare ports then you could always use an etherchannel if it did become a bottleneck.

If you did do that make sure you load balance on src/dst IP address and not mac address because the mac addresses would always be the same ie. firewall to switch HSRP VIP mac address.

That aside good luck with the test and if you have any issues just post into this thread.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card