Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Priority configured does not take place

Ronie Meireles
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

This night I configured 3 HSRP router´s priorities and 2 of them did not assume the new configured priority (3 groups on the same interface).

After deleting and reconfiguring the interfaces many, many, many times one of them also assumed the new priority for the groups but 1 router remained with the old priorities despite of the new priorities configured.

I can´t put a show standby output here because it is a company´s productive router, but the output showed the priority in use and the priority "configured" between parentheses.

Could anyone help to understand what happened?

Thank you!

Best regards!

5 Replies 5

Hello
do you have preemption enabled?

standby x preempt

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul! Thank you for your interest!

I reviewed the implementation and I discovered that the issue happened because I created a Tracking object pointing to the state of the Tunnels and I configured Keepalive on the Tunnels, so both router´s Tunnels got UP/DOWN and the HSRP Track was decementing the priorities.

The most strange is that one of these Tunnels got UP after a lot of time but one router kept with its Tunnel UP/DOWN.

When I rolledback to the old Track based on icmp of the NBMA interface (MPLS WAN) the priorities were restablished but the Tunnel kept UP/DOWN till I remove the keepalive...

What may be causing the GRE Tunnels to get UP/DOWN when I configure keepalive?

I have other tunnels, in one of these 3 routers, with keepalive and they work fine.

Thank you again!

BR

Hello

If you have keepalives applied both sides of the tunnel and they don’t receive a response to the keep alive messages they send then the tunnels wil go down also if you have keepalive set only just on one sidie then that tunnel will eventually go down as it hasn’t received a response also make sure if you have a access-list applied  make sure keepalive packets are allowed through.that acl.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

just to clear your GRE tunnel to both HSRP router ? what is other side of tunnel?

Hi @MHM Cisco World !

I didn´t understand your question. Could you please explain me it again?

Tks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card